James Cook University’s seven in a row for graduate jobs
James Cook University has been awarded top marks for graduate employment for the seventh year in a row—and JCU is the only Queensland university to achieve the distinction for the past seven years.
The authoritative tertiary education guide, the Good Universities Guide, confirms JCU graduates continue to be in high demand, with the university receiving 5 out of 5 stars for its graduates’ job prospects.
Only three Australian universities achieved the rating over the past seven years.
The rating means JCU is in the top 20% of universities whose graduates were employed full-time within four months of graduation.
74.9% of undergraduates from James Cook University find full-time employment within four months of graduating, higher than the national average (69.5%).
JCU Vice Chancellor Professor Sandra Harding said the ratings underline the university’s strong performance in teaching and research.
“Our graduates continue to be in demand and are finding employment quickly.
“We know that our graduates are highly sought after, and to receive a five-star rating for graduate employment seven years in a row confirms JCU is providing its students with a high-quality education and very strong career prospects,” said Professor Harding.
“It’s a great achievement for James Cook University to be awarded five stars for graduate employment for seven consecutive years,” said Chris Lester, the CEO of the Good Education Group, which publishes the guide.
“It’s promising to see regional universities providing students with a great student experience, backed by strong graduate outcomes,” Mr Lester said.
The university again scored top marks (five stars) for “Learner Engagement”—the proportion of students who positively rated their engagement with learning at their university.
And for the first time, the guide also includes an in-depth breakdown of university ratings at a field of study level.
JCU has achieved 5 stars in a range of categories across 14 fields of study.
The Good Universities Guide has highlighted JCU’s key strengths in fields of study including medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy:
- Pharmacy students are more satisfied with key measures of student experience than at any other university.
- Dentistry graduates from James Cook University are better employed than from any other university.
- Medicine graduates have a 100% employment rate.
- Veterinary science students are more satisfied with Skills Development than at any other university and graduates and have the highest employment rates in the country.
Find out more
- JCU Medical School – Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery
- JCU Dental School – Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- JCU Pharmacy School – Bachelor of Pharmacy