|University Location||Perth, Western Australia|
|City Population||2.1 million|
|Int'l Student Population||4,500|
|Program Duration||3 years|
|Estimated Annual Tuition||$46,500 AUD (2022 fees; subject to increase)|
|Semester Intake||February & July|
|Next Available Intake||February 2023|
|Application Deadline||No set deadline*|
The UWA Law School is Western Australia’s oldest law school and the fifth oldest in Australia. Established in 1927, the school developed very close relationship with the legal profession which continues to this day.
UWA fosters excellence, integrity, and inclusivity in student learning through a diverse and inspiring range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses, teaching methods, and learning environments.
As a Juris Doctor student, you will have the opportunity to participate in several mooting competitions including the prestigious Jessup International Moot. UWA’s Jessup Moot teams have had remarkable success, representing Australia in the international rounds in 1995–1997, 2001–2003, 2005, 2009–2011 and 2013–2015. UWA won the international Jessup Cup in 2003 and was international runners-up in 1995 and 2002.
The Blackstone Society is UWA’s law student society. The society focuses on the student experience on campus and runs a range of events across careers, equity, wellness, and competition portfolios. In addition, the Blackstone Society hosts a wide range of exciting and very popular social events as well as legal skill-building competitions in areas such as mooting, client interview, and witness examination.
The law school’s flagship qualifying degree, the world-renowned and internationally recognized Juris Doctor (JD), is an innovative program that emphasizes rigorous discipline knowledge, practical and professional skill building and critical thinking.
As a UWA JD student, you’ll spend approximately 40 hours per week on contact hours, personal study, and examinations.
Why study law at UWA?
- Learn from the very best of the legal profession and award-winning academics recognized nationally for excellence in teaching and research.
- Emphasis on practical and professional skill building and an inquiry approach to learning.
- Study with high-achieving students in an inclusive environment and build lifelong friendships with a diverse and vibrant cohort of future leaders.
- Very high graduate employment rates.
- Comprehensive and integrated well-being and professionalism programs.
UWA Law School has direct exchange opportunities with partner universities:
- University of Toronto
- University of Oxford
- University of Denver
- Hebrew University
- Legal Internship unit – 12-week legal work placement
- Clinical Legal Education unit, situated in the UWA Mediation Clinic and Minderoo Tech & Policy Lab
- Legal APPtitude elective
- Mooting competitions, client interview competitions, and Australia’s first university law journal
About Canadian Law Electives
Canadian students are required by the National Council on Accreditation (NCA) to complete 5 units on their return to Canada to be admitted to the Bar.
- Canadian Administrative Law
- Canadian Constitutional Law
- Canadian Criminal Law
- Foundations of Canadian Law
- Canadian Legal Professional Responsibility
Arrangements can be made for these units to be completed online in Australia and credited towards the UWA JD. Please contact OzTREKK for details.
Completed bachelor’s degree
You must have a completed undergraduate degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.1/4.0 (approximately 75% or above), across all completed university studies
Admission will be awarded to the highest-ranked applicants who fall within the intake quota for that year.
*While there is no set application deadline, you are encouraged to apply at least 3 months prior to the program start date.