Practicing Audiology

What are the steps required to become licensed to practice audiology in Canada?


Important: The information on this page is intended to provide you with the basics of the credentialing process. It is your responsibility to contact your provincial regulatory body to ensure you are familiar with the process to return. While we review this content on an annual basis, it is subject to change at any time. Please ensure you review all information provided by the regulatory bodies for the most up-to-date information. OzTREKK is not responsible for your credentialing process.​

Graduate degrees in audiology and speech pathology from Australian universities are recognized by the Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) and provincial regulatory bodies for practicing in Canada, providing the necessary clinical and coursework hours were completed within the program.

To become licensed in either profession in Canada, you are required to have completed a minimum number of clinical/instruction hours in the other discipline. As an example, to become an audiologist in Canada, you must have studied and practiced speech pathology as well. The total amount of clinical and instruction hours required to become licensed vary depending on the province, and from the requirements to become clinically certified by the SAC (optional), there are a separate list of requirements. Clinical hours may include relevant undergraduate studies, so the number of hours each student will need to take in the program may vary.

It’s the student’s responsibility to contact their provincial regulatory body to ensure they understand the requirements and process to become licensed when they return, and they should track their hours during the program to make sure they have enough for certification.

The process

How do you become an audiologist in Canada?

First, you will need to complete a postgraduate degree like a Master of Audiology. To become licensed to practice professionally as an audiologist or a speech pathologist in Canada, you must go through a provincial regulatory board in the province in which you would like to live and work.

Here’s a general breakdown of the process:

1. Meet Clinical Hours
Be sure to advise your faculty of the hours you need to meet licensing requirements for the province in which you would like to work (and optionally SAC requirements for Clinical Certification). Remember, these hours are not tracked for you by the university; however, they will work with you to ensure that your clinical placements align with what you need to return home.

2. Credentialing
After graduation, you will apply for provincial licensure and have your educational background assessed for eligibility. Once approved, you will apply for your Initial Certificate of Registration (or have 2 years’ experience) and complete a six-month clinical mentorship, after which you may apply for full licensure.

3. Canadian Entry to Practice Examination
The CETP Exam is a national, standardized, competency-based entry-to-practice exam for speech-language pathologists and  audiologists. It is a regulatory exam based on the competency profiles and sub-competencies recently developed by CAASPR for the purpose of regulation.

Important note: Internationally trained individuals may prepare for the application process while still enrolled in a program of study or while outside Canada by becoming familiar with Canadian registration requirements and upgrading language skills if required.

Tracking your hours

The biggest hurdle you will face is making sure that you have completed the required hours—both face-to-face class time and practical hours—in both your major audiology courses and your minor speech pathology courses.

North American universities employ task-based learning, while Australian unis use practical-based learning. The result is that North American regulatory bodies focus greatly on hours spent in learning while Australian regulatory bodies concentrate more on the quality of the work, not the time spent on it.

So, what do you do?

Get extra hours
It is certainly possible to make up extra time in clinicals and extra courses to make up class time (at your expense). Other OzTREKK alums have been successful in being certified to work as audiologists and speech pathologists in their respective provinces. Work with your faculty advisor, and he or she may be able to help you find additional practice hours.

We recommend you contact your provincial regulatory board (listed below) for the paperwork required to record your class and clinical hours—not only do you need to complete the minimum hours, but you will need to prove it, too.


As an internationally educated graduate, you will also go through a credentialing process to determine your studies are equivalent to Canada’s.

Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba or Saskatchewan

  • Create an account and application file with CAASPR have a credential assessment completed by a third-party agency and possibly complete language proficiency testing; and
  • Submit all required documents to CAASPR and pay the associated fees.

Quebec, Ontario, Alberta or British Columbia
You should contact the corresponding regulator and follow their process for application and assessment. If your training is assessed to be equivalent to the minimum standard for accredited Canadian training programs, and you are required to successfully complete the CETP exam, you will be advised how to enroll for the exam and pay the exam fee.

Unregulated territories
If you intend to practice in an unregulated territory, you should contact the corresponding provincial/territorial professional association to learn the process for application. Applicants planning to practice in an unregulated jurisdiction are not required to write the CETP exam but may wish to do so if they plan to move to a regulated jurisdiction in the future.

Credentialing results
If deemed successful, you will be directed to enroll for the CETP exam and pay the exam fee. If you are deemed not eligible to proceed to the exam, the regulatory body in the jurisdiction where you intended to practice will provide you specific information regarding your application.

Taking the exam

Starting in Fall 2020, the SAC will be replacing their Clinical Certification exam with a new Canadian Entry-to-Practice (CEPT) Exam based on harmonized standards and competencies established by the Canadian Alliance of Audiology and Speech Pathology Regulators (CAASPR). Please see the CETP exam FAQs for information.

About the Canadian Entry-to-Practice (CETP) Examination
If you have been approved to write the CETP Exam, you will be directed to enroll for the exam with the exam provider, Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC). Some basic information from your CAASPR account will be securely transferred electronically to the exam enrollment page and you will be required to provide additional information regarding preferred examination location and language, etc., and pay the exam fee. You will have 2 years, from the date of your written eligibility confirmation, and 3 attempts to successfully complete the CETP Exam.

Important Note: Certain provinces and regulators do not require applicants to sit the CETP Exam. Applicants may, however, voluntarily undertake the Exam.


COVID-19 & CETP Exam Updates

ACSLPA applicants educated outside of a recognized accredited program who are required to successfully pass an exam as part of their registration requirements will not be asked to register for the CETP exam at this time. We anticipate having more information available this fall.

British Columbia
Until further notice, we advise applicants not to begin the process of enrolling for the CETP Exam. Although the CAASPR portal is active for applicants to do this, we ask that you wait until CSHBC provides further information specific to British Columbia.

CASLPO Council has decided that they will not require the successful completion of the CETP Exam until April 1, 2021, regardless of whether their amendments to the Registration Regulation are approved by the Ministry of Health or not.


Federal organization benefits

Graduates may also join Speech Language & Audiology Canada to gain access to professional resources for development, insurance, and other benefits. They may also undertake the SAC’s Clinical Certification process, allowing the use of the S-LP(C) professional designation.

The SAC mutually recognizes master’s-level speech pathology programs at Australian universities, which streamlines the approval process. This mutual recognition does not extend to audiology programs.

Currently in Canada, eight provinces require mandatory registration with a regulatory body.

Regulatory and Licensing Bodies in Canada


Are there any scholarships for international students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

Occasionally, scholarships are granted to high achievers—those with very high marks. In previous years, we have seen $5000- to $10,000-scholarships given to OzTREKK students.

Check out OzTREKK’s Financing page to learn more about scholarships and paying for your degree.

I received a low mark on my prerequisite course. Will this impact my application? 

To meet the prerequisite subjects, you need to have been granted the credit (passed); the grade isn’t considered in the prerequisite assessment.

What does “rolling admissions” mean?

Rolling admissions means the university assesses applications as they are received, or on a “first come, first served” basis. As soon as they’ve met the quota and the program is filled, they close the applications. So, for a program that has rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better!

How does OzTREKK know if my application will be competitive?

The majority of Canadians applying to full-degree programs in Australia (i.e., not study abroad courses, which usually only last a semester or two) apply through OzTREKK. They’re studying medicine, dentistry, law, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc.

Since they’re using OzTREKK’s services, this gives us a good idea of the starting point of a competitive application each year, allowing our admissions officers to help you determine which universities/programs are most likely to present you with a letter of offer!

You can get started on determining your chances by reviewing the admissions requirements on each program page. Then, visit our GPA Conversions and Eligibility pages for details and suggestions to help you get into the program of your dreams. Of course, OzTREKK is always here to help if you have questions.

What is a 5.0 GPA in Australia?

Unlike in Canada, GPAs in Australia are simple. They are standardized, so they mean the same thing to everyone.

In Australia, a 5.0 / 7.0 would roughly translate to a 2.7 / 4.0 or approximately 70% – 72%, but keep in mind all universities assess slightly differently.

Learn more on our GPA Conversions page where we list the most common Canadian GPA scales to their corresponding Australian GPA grade.

Which prerequisites do I need?

Prerequisite courses vary by university and by program. We’ve listed university- and program-specific requirements on each program’s page under “Admissions Requirements.”

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to [email protected].

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

What is the appropriate regulatory body in my province?

Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA)

College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of British Columbia (CSHHPBC)

College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Manitoba (CASLPM

College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO)

New Brunswick Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (NBASLPA)

Newfoundland and Labrador Council of Health Professionals

Ordre des orthophonistes et audiologistes du Québec (OOAQ)

Saskatchewan Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (SASLPA)

What are course outlines and how should I submit them to OzTREKK?

A course outline includes all the necessary information about a university course. It will include the course title, the year, the learning goals, the professor’s contact information, reading materials and most important, a weekly learning schedule. This will help the universities to see what you studied on a week-to-week basis and assess if you have covered the material they expect you to know.

  • Year and semester date
  • Faculty contact information
  • Course description
  • Hours of study
  • Textbook information
  • Detailed list of topics that are covered in the course; usually found in a detailed lecture schedule or list of chapter readings

Please note, one-paragraph course descriptions will not suffice. The university would like to see course outlines like those handed out at the beginning of the semester, which outline all topics covered within the course. If you do not have copies of these on hand, contact the faculty from which you undertook these courses, as they usually have copies on file.

These course outlines must be attached to the email in PDF (do not send PDF links) and labelled in the following manner:

CAPS 391 Human Anatomy I UBC F2015 (COURSE CODE)(Name of Course)(University)(Semester & Year)

When you do this, it helps us be more efficient and move your application(s) at lightning speed.

What if my transcripts / documents are not in English?

If your documents are not in English, you must provide full translation of each document, either prepared by your university or by a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself.

Please note OzTREKK must receive the official translation directly from the university or translator in order to certify the document. Please read How Do I Send My Transcripts for more information.

How many places are available for international students?

Because entry is highly competitive, there are currently only about 10 international seats available in each of the audiology programs.

How can I ensure my audiology application is strong?

For Macquarie University, you’re welcome to include reference letters; however, the universities are mainly looking for a high GPA and the required prerequisites.

Will I be eligible to practice as an audiologist in Canada?

You should first contact the regulatory body of the Canadian province in which you plan to work upon graduation. It will be your responsibility throughout your studies to ensure you complete the proper requirements in order to practice in Canada.

You must be aware of the required audiology (major) and speech pathology (minor) clinical hours in order to practice in your province. Most programs OzTREKK represents with do not meet Canadian certification requirements “as is.” This means you will be required to arrange and undertake additional clinical and course hours as required to meet Canadian standards.

Visit Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) to familiarize yourself with their requirements for practice in Canada.

What is the competitive GPA for audiology programs?

A cGPA of 80% or higher is considered competitive for OzTREKK’s listed audiology programs. If you have a cGPA 75% or lower, we would not recommend applying.

I don’t have all the prerequisites. Can I still apply?

Unfortunately, if you do not have the required prerequisites, you are not eligible to apply. If you are missing a course or two, you can enroll in those courses before applying and we will submit your interim transcript with your application. Otherwise, you are welcome to send in a course outline you feel covers the required content. If you’re unsure, please contact OzTREKK for details.