While we outline everything you need to know during the “predeparture phase,” we thought you’d like a snapshot of what finding accommodation is all about!

It’s okay to feel a little intimidated—you are moving around the world, after all. But hundreds of former OzTREKK students have done it… and so can you! Don’t forget, we’re here to support you. If you have questions about accommodation, please feel free to contact us!

First Steps

Be informed before you arrive. Learn about renting in your city and the different types of housing options and lease agreements, so you can get straight into house hunting once you arrive.

Do your best to arrive a few weeks before orientation. This will give you enough time to find suitable accommodation and settle in before classes commence.  Former OzTREKK students have told us that it takes 2–3 weeks to find accommodation, especially in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane.

Make sure you arrange or book temporary accommodation for your arrival and are financially prepared for the time you may need to spend in temporary accommodation—Airbnbs, hostels, hotels, your university….

Make housing your first priority but don’t rush. Rushing can lead to bad decisions and housing problems can have a major impact on your studies.

Create an “accommodation package” before leaving home. Be sure to bring copies of references of previous landlords, banking statements, proof of enrollment, driver’s licence, etc. as you will need these in order to apply for the private rental market.

Types of Accommodation

Where can you live?

1. On campus residences (colleges)
2. Off campus student-specific, managed housing
3. Off campus private rental market
4. Homestay

1. On Campus
Offered at all our universities, on-campus residences can be individual bedrooms or shared bedrooms with shared facilities. These on-campus residences are called “colleges.” Some have everything included, like meals, furniture, internet, etc. If you’re coming straight from high school, OzTREKK strongly recommends on-campus accommodation.

2. Off Campus Student-specific, Managed
These are similar to on-campus colleges and are student-purposed apartments. These are usually fully furnished and either managed by the university or through a private company. Students living in these apartments are usually self-sufficient, although it may be possible to purchase meal plans. Students are usually responsible for connecting and paying for utilities such as water, telephone, electricity and gas in their own name and at their own cost. They can be booked in advance, from home.

3. Off Campus Private Rental Market
Shared households are popular with students because they can provide an opportunity for an independent lifestyle in a shared environment. People in a share household usually lease their property from a real estate agent or landlord. Many suburbs to choose from—hello, Google Maps! Make sure you see it in person before signing anything and be prepared to visit at least 5 – 10 places.  Can be the least expensive option if you have roommates. Don’t forget to consider travel time and bus/train availability.

4. Homestay
Homestay or private board is where you live with a family, couple or single person/s in their own home. There are different types of homestay arrangements, which generally fall within one of the following categories: full board, part board, and board in exchange. Usually for the younger-than-18 crowd.

You can find university-specific accommodation options and ideas by clicking on your university on the OzTREKK Boarding Pass!

Rights and

The rules and processes of renting are different in Australia from what they are in Canada. As an international student, it is important for you to understand the rights and laws of renting properties in Australia.

On our OzTREKK Boarding Pass site, you will get the details regarding your rights and responsibilities while studying in Australia or New Zealand.