How to Apply

Learn how to apply to nursing schools in Australia. We'll walk you through the process, step by step.


We know there’s a lot of information on this page, but don’t worry—OzTREKK will be right there with you.

Here’s what you’ll find on this page:

If you have questions or concerns at any stage in the process, we are just a call or an email away!​

1. Eligibility

Determining Your Eligibility

Eligibility is based on several factors and differs between programs. To get started, please have a look at the following topics:

To Determine Your Eligibility

Check out our helpful FAQs for more insight on eligibility.

2. Apply Online

Start Your Application

Fill out the OzTREKK application.

Don’t worry! This application only comes to us. Think of it as your starting point: It’s nothing more than you telling us which programs you’re interested in so we can ensure you don’t miss a deadline.

What to expect on the application
The basics! Your full name, address, program of interest, etc., plus your education history—so have start and graduation dates handy. If you can’t remember your exact start or grad date, estimate.

Once you’ve pressed “Submit,” we’ll contact you to outline your next steps, and will list which documents you’ll need to send to our office. Again, we aim to make sure you never miss a deadline!

If you’d like to make changes to your application or to your program selection, don’t stress. We can adjust anything as we go!

3. Submit Documents

Submit Your Documents to OzTREKK

You’ve pressed “Submit” on your OzTREKK application and you’re ready for the next step.

No guessing required. We’ll send you a handy checklist outlining all the required documentation for each university.

Where do I send my documents?
All application documents, aside from your official transcripts*, should be emailed to OzTREKK as PDFs:

*Transcripts in their original, sealed envelopes must be mailed to the OzTREKK office or emailed directly from your school to our office:

How do I know OzTREKK received my documents?
As soon as we receive your transcripts (whether by email or by post), and the other required documents, we will let you know—every time. Just keep an eye on your inbox!

When do I send my documents?
The earlier the better! We’ll need all documents sent to us before the application deadlines; the earlier we have them, the more guidance we can provide. You can also send them along gradually, as you get them. We’ll take care of keeping you organized.

Fast Facts

  • Even if you apply to multiple universities, you only need to send one copy of your documents.
  • All our university partners accept OzTREKK-certified transcripts. Once they have our stamp of approval (yes, a literal stamp), they’re good to go!
  • Most universities waive their application fees for OzTREKK students.
  • You will be kept up to date with your application status: outstanding documents, which applications have been submitted, upcoming deadlines, etc.

4. OzTREKK Submits Application

OzTREKK Submits Your Complete Application(s)

Once all your documents are in, we’ll submit your application to the university! We’ll send you a confirmation email and provide an outcome date estimate.

Now what?
This is the waiting period. It can be stressful, but now that your application is under assessment, we will share everything you need to know in this “layover” phase! This will include

  • resources for confident decision-making if you receive an offer (or multiple offers!);
  • financing information (including contacts); and
  • community connections (OzTREKK events and more!).

Best Fit

Finding Your Best Fit

Play around with our compare programs feature to determine which program might be the best fit for you.

Remember, we’re here for you throughout the entire process, so always feel free to ask us questions. You deserve the right to feel comfortable and confident with your decision, and we’ll do whatever we can to support you.

Happy applying!


Have a look through our nursing FAQs. If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, please contact us. We’re here to help!

Can I apply if I’m only 17?

Yes, but you’ll require parental or guardian consent (signature). OzTREKK will provide the necessary documentation for this signature.

If you won’t be 18 when your program starts, you’ll be required to show that you’ll be living with an approved guardian until you turn 18. If you don’t have an approved guardian in Australia, you may need a family member to apply for a guardian visa to accompany you. This guardian visa should be obtained as part of the student visa application


Can my entire application be submitted through OzTREKK?

Absolutely. We will manage and submit your application(s) on your behalf and communicate any updates from the universities. We’re here to be an advocate for you, and to walk you through the entire process from start to finish.

OzTREKK will keep you on track with application deadlines, interview dates, and any applicable events. We’ll supply you with a step-by-step list of what you’ll need to submit, and when.

Should you have any questions along the way, just send us an email or book a chat! That’s why we’re here!

Are there any scholarships for international students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

Occasionally, scholarships are granted to high achievers—those with very high marks. In previous years, we have seen $5000- to $10,000-scholarships given to OzTREKK students.

Check out OzTREKK’s Financing page to learn more about scholarships and paying for your degree.

Is there an English language requirement for nursing programs?

The NMBA now requires nursing applicants to confirm they have completed at least 6 years of primary and secondary education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognized countries (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States of America), including at least 2 years between Grades 7 and 12; or that you have successfully completed an English Language test.

What does “rolling admissions” mean?

Rolling admissions means the university assesses applications as they are received, or on a “first come, first served” basis. As soon as they’ve met the quota and the program is filled, they close the applications. So, for a program that has rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better!

How does OzTREKK know if my application will be competitive?

The majority of Canadians applying to full-degree programs in Australia (i.e., not study abroad courses, which usually only last a semester or two) apply through OzTREKK. They’re studying medicine, dentistry, law, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc.

Since they’re using OzTREKK’s services, this gives us a good idea of the starting point of a competitive application each year, allowing us to help you determine which universities/programs are most likely to present you with a letter of offer!

You can get started on determining your chances by reviewing the admissions requirements on each program page. Then, visit our GPA Conversions and Eligibility pages for details and suggestions to help you get into the program of your dreams. Of course, OzTREKK is always here to help if you have questions.

What is a 5.0 GPA in Australia?

Unlike in Canada, GPAs in Australia are simple. They are standardized, so they mean the same thing to everyone.

In Australia, a 5.0 / 7.0 would roughly translate to a 2.7 / 4.0 or approximately 70% – 72%, but keep in mind all universities assess slightly differently.

Learn more on our GPA Conversions page where we list the most common Canadian GPA scales to their corresponding Australian GPA grade.

Which prerequisites do I need?

Prerequisite courses vary by university and by program. We’ve listed university- and program-specific requirements on each program’s page under “Admissions Requirements.”

How do universities calculate GPA?

Calculations differ by university, but most use cumulative (all units within a program) or weighted GPA (typically last 2 or 3 years of study). See GPA Calculations for more information.

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

What do you do if your nursing studies are not equal to Canada’s?

Some placements required by the provincial nursing college may not be offered as part of the Australian nursing program, or are only offered as elective placements. This means that you may have to do these placements on your own after you graduate. While some people don’t mind, it is something you will want to consider.

Based on what we have heard from previous OzTREKK students, Australian nursing programs do not typically include a maternity/pediatrics section in the course. Those who study nursing in Australia and plan to return to Canada for practice are strongly encouraged to take a maternity and pediatrics placement where available to gain clinical hours to make up for this.

If you do not have the option to take a maternity/pediatrics placement, don’t worry. There are things that you can do to make up for content. For example, you can

  • complete a postgraduate midwifery course
  • complete bridging courses available in Canada

These details differ from province to province and from program to program, so it is important to contact the provincial body directly to confirm all requirements before starting a nursing program in Australia.

Depending on if you’d like to work in a specialized area, you may need to do extra schooling and/or placement hours. This can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to complete.

What are course outlines and how should I submit them to OzTREKK?

A course outline includes all the necessary information about a university course. It will include the course title, the year, the learning goals, the professor’s contact information, reading materials and most important, a weekly learning schedule. This will help the universities to see what you studied on a week-to-week basis and assess if you have covered the material they expect you to know.

  • Year and semester date
  • Faculty contact information
  • Course description
  • Hours of study
  • Textbook information
  • Detailed list of topics that are covered in the course; usually found in a detailed lecture schedule or list of chapter readings

Please note, one-paragraph course descriptions will not suffice. The university would like to see course outlines like those handed out at the beginning of the semester, which outline all topics covered within the course. If you do not have copies of these on hand, contact the faculty from which you undertook these courses, as they usually have copies on file.

These course outlines must be attached to the email in PDF (do not send PDF links) and labelled in the following manner:

CAPS 391 Human Anatomy I UBC F2015 (COURSE CODE)(Name of Course)(University)(Semester & Year)

When you do this, it helps us be more efficient and move your application(s) at lightning speed.

What if my transcripts / documents are not in English?

If your documents are not in English, you must provide full translation of each document, either prepared by your university or by a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself.

Please note OzTREKK must receive the official translation directly from the university or translator in order to certify the document. Please read How Do I Send My Transcripts for more information.

When is the best time to apply?

While most Bachelor of Nursing programs do not have a set application deadline, you are strongly encouraged to submit your application before the end of September for programs beginning in semester 1 (February/March) and before the end of April for programs beginning in semester 2 (July).

If you’re interested Master of Nursing programs, you should submit your application as early as possible (May or June) as these programs can fill quickly.

What is considered a competitive GPA to get into nursing programs?

For nursing programs, anywhere from a 75% and above cumulative average in your undergraduate degree can be considered competitive; however, if you meet the minimum entry requirements (these vary by university) you can submit an application to that program.

Will I be able to practice in Australia?

As of now, the option is there for Canadians to work as a nurse in Australia after graduating from an Australian nursing program; however, it is important to keep in mind that this is subject to change and that Australian citizens may have priority to these positions.

To work as a nurse or midwife in Australia, you need to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA). Graduates can register with board to become registered nurses in Australia and in many overseas countries. You will also need to apply for a visa (issued by the Australian Department of Home Affairs (Australian Immigration Department), to allow you to work in the country. You will likely need to apply for a Bridging visa in between your student visa and the working visa which will allow you to stay in Australia until your application for a new substantive visa is decided.

If your goal is to practice nursing in Australia, OzTREKK encourages you to contact the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and the Australian High Commission Office to discuss the process of licensing in Australia for Canadian citizens.

If I study nursing in Australia, will I be permitted to practice in Canada?

Yes, you can, although you should be familiar with the Canadian certification process for foreign-trained nurses in your province. All nursing professions are regulated in Canada, which means that you must be registered with one of the provincial or territorial regulatory bodies to be authorized to practice as a nurse in Canada.

The basic registration process can take roughly 9–12+ months, and is as follows:

  • You submit your documents to the NNAS. Documents include registration verification, schooling forms, and any employment history. The NNAS Handbook can be a helpful resource for this.
  • They put everything together and give your application to your provincial regulatory body.
  • The provincial regulatory body will then assess and decide if your credentials are equal to a Canadian nursing program or if you need to do extra schooling and/or placement hours.
  • If your studies are deemed equal, you are eligible to write the NCLEX.

Students should also be familiar with the program requirements in their province to ensure the Australian nursing program they are considering will be equivalent. In some cases, graduates may be able to supplement missing components here in Canada if the Australian program falls short. These details differ from province to province and from program to program, so it is important to contact the provincial body directly to confirm all requirements before starting a program internationally.

Occasionally, an Australian nursing program does not fully meet the provincial requirement, although applicants may be able to do placements in Canada to meet the requirement and are then able to proceed with the registration. OzTREKK encourages you to contact the provincial regulatory body to ensure you know your options.

Which are the most popular nursing programs?

We’ve seen Melbourne, UQ, and Sydney with the most applicants, but this may be because those universities are more widely known than some of the others. Once a student becomes aware of his or her options, we tend to see applications spread across the board.