Teacher Education Licensing


Important: The information on this page is intended to provide you with the basics of the credentialing process. It is your responsibility to contact your provincial regulatory body to ensure you are familiar with the process to return. While we review this content on an annual basis, it is subject to change at any time. Please ensure you review all information provided by the regulatory bodies for the most up-to-date information. OzTREKK is not responsible for your credentialing process.​

Teaching is a regulated profession in Canada. Each province and territory in Canada has its own individual certification board. If you wish to teach in any one of these locations, you must apply to for certification though the specific provincial or territorial certification board. This stands for all students, whether they have completed their teacher education in Canada or abroad. Upon completion of a teacher education program, you must first need to gain teacher certification through the province or territory in which you wish to work.

Provincial Requirements

Graduates of Master of Teaching programs at Australian universities can return to practice in Canada after meeting the requirements of their provincial regulatory board. These requirements vary by province, and you would need to check the website for the regulatory body using the links below for more details.

Presently, New Brunswick indicates that the minimum requirements needed to be granted a Permanent Teaching Certificate in New Brunswick, requires students to complete a 60-hour education program that includes a practicum (45 credit hours in education coursework plus practicum), and a total of 168 credit hours from all university coursework.  In short, New Brunswick will be looking for students to have completed a Bachelor of Education degree to teach.

For Ontario, students will need a minimum of a 4-semester teacher education program and will need to have at least 80 days (400 hours) of teaching experience upon the completion of the degree. Students can begin the application to become registered in Ontario from outside of Canada. Be sure to check the Ontario College of Teachers website for the most up-to-date information.

At present, any of the four-semestered programs in Australia will meet this timeline requirement. In some cases, students may need to arrange additional teaching hours, pending on the university. 

In Quebec, you will need to ensure that the program you complete will meet the Quebec teaching conditions. This will mean a 4-year Bachelor of Education (Primary) or Bachelor of Education (Secondary) with a focus on at least onr subject set. Please be aware this requirement differs in other provinces. You can read more on this in the Terms and Conditions for Obtaining a Quebec Teaching Licence document.

Check below for your province’s requirements.

Alberta Teachers’ Association
British Columbia Teachers’ Federation
Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario
Manitoba Teachers’ Society
New Brunswick Teachers’ Association
Newfoundland and Labrador Teachers’ Association
Northwest Territories Teachers’ Association
Nova Scotia Teachers Union
Nunavut Teachers’ Association
Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation
Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association
Prince Edward Island Teachers’ Federation
Quebec Provincial Association of Teachers
Saskatchewan Teachers’ Federation
Yukon Teachers’ Association

Staying in Australia

Depending on where you’ve obtained your teaching degree, you will be qualified to teach within that state; however, you must obtain the appropriate work visa to remain in Australia. Review all of the Australian accredited teaching programs.

New South Wales (University of Sydney, Macquarie University)
Western Australia (University of Western Australia)
Victoria (Deakin University, Monash University, and University of Melbourne)
Queensland (Griffith University, James Cook University, and University of Queensland)
South Australia (Flinders University)
Northern Territory


Can my entire application be submitted through OzTREKK?

Absolutely. We will manage and submit your application(s) on your behalf and communicate any updates from the universities. We’re here to be an advocate for you, and to walk you through the entire process from start to finish.

OzTREKK will keep you on track with application deadlines, interview dates, and any applicable events. We’ll supply you with a step-by-step list of what you’ll need to submit, and when.

Should you have any questions along the way, just send us an email or book a chat! That’s why we’re here!

Are there any scholarships for international students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

Occasionally, scholarships are granted to high achievers—those with very high marks. In previous years, we have seen $5000- to $10,000-scholarships given to OzTREKK students.

Check out OzTREKK’s Financing page to learn more about scholarships and paying for your degree.

What does “rolling admissions” mean?

Rolling admissions means the university assesses applications as they are received, or on a “first come, first served” basis. As soon as they’ve met the quota and the program is filled, they close the applications. So, for a program that has rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better!

How does OzTREKK know if my application will be competitive?

The majority of Canadians applying to full-degree programs in Australia (i.e., not study abroad courses, which usually only last a semester or two) apply through OzTREKK. They’re studying medicine, dentistry, law, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc.

Since they’re using OzTREKK’s services, this gives us a good idea of the starting point of a competitive application each year, allowing us to help you determine which universities/programs are most likely to present you with a letter of offer!

You can get started on determining your chances by reviewing the admissions requirements on each program page. Then, visit our GPA Conversions and Eligibility pages for details and suggestions to help you get into the program of your dreams. Of course, OzTREKK is always here to help if you have questions.

What is a 5.0 GPA in Australia?

Unlike in Canada, GPAs in Australia are simple. They are standardized, so they mean the same thing to everyone.

In Australia, a 5.0 / 7.0 would roughly translate to a 2.7 / 4.0 or approximately 70% – 72%, but keep in mind all universities assess slightly differently.

Learn more on our GPA Conversions page where we list the most common Canadian GPA scales to their corresponding Australian GPA grade.

Which prerequisites do I need?

Prerequisite courses vary by university and by program. We’ve listed university- and program-specific requirements on each program’s page under “Admissions Requirements.”

How do universities calculate GPA?

Calculations differ by university, but most use cumulative (all units within a program) or weighted GPA (typically last 2 or 3 years of study). See GPA Calculations for more information.

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to transcripts@oztrekk.com.

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

What if I don’t have a completed undergraduate degree?

You may consider Bachelor of Education program options; however, in some provinces this degree alone may not meet the requirement to return to Canada to teach. You’ll want to familiarize yourself with the provincial teaching requirements before committing to an undergraduate-level teaching program.

If I have already completed a teaching program, are there additional education programs I can pursue?

Yes, students who have a completed teaching qualification can look to build upon their education by completing a Master of Education program. Several different streams are available, should you wish to focus on a particular major. Credit is available, pending on your prior academic courses.

You may also complete this course online.

For more information about your options, please contact OzTREKK at study@oztrekk.com.