Student Visas


To study in Australia, you must obtain a student visa from the Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs).

Australian visas are electronically attached to the valid passport used on the visa application. Your student visa grant notification will be emailed to you by the Australian Government. Save this email and print out a copy of the notification email, and take it with you in your carry-on luggage to Australia. You can always log in to your IMMI account to see the status of your application.

The current student visa application fee (as of July 2023) starts at $710 AUD. Permission to work will automatically be included in the cost of your visa.

Important: Ensure you’re 100% confident that you don’t intend to accept another Australian university offer.

Students in Canada or the U.S. who have questions about Australian student visas can phone the Global Service Centre in Australia at +61 2 6196 0196 (international call cost will apply). Office hours: Monday to Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Eastern time).

Please note that OzTREKK cannot answer specific questions regarding your student visa as we are not registered with the Australian Government as an official migration agent. 

Getting Ready to Apply

Before you apply:

  • Make sure your passport isn’t going to expire. If you need to apply for a new one, please alert OzTREKK as soon as possible.
  • Make sure you are certain you want to attend that particular university.

Important: If you have accepted an offer to a university and have applied for your student visa to attend that university, you will not be permitted to change to another Australian institution.

Do not apply for a visa unless you are certain you want to attend that particular university.

Should you wish to withdraw altogether (and not study in Australia), or attend another institution in another country, that’s fine! This policy only applies if both institutions are in Australia.

Document Checklist Before You Apply

Evidence of your identity. Attach a copy of your passport. Also include a certified copy of your birth certificate, national identity card or driver’s licence where you have these.

Evidence of intended study
Evidence of your intended study must be provided to make a valid application. You’ll need your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for all intended courses if applying outside Australia.

Financial capacity requirements
You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you to pay for your course fees and travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members (if applicable) while you are in Australia. You might need to provide evidence of your financial capacity with your visa application. If you need to provide evidence of financial capacity, you will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • Evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school-aged dependents) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
  • Evidence that you meet the annual income requirement
  • A letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

Health insurance
Evidence of adequate health insurance. Health insurance must be Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You must obtain OSHC for yourself and any accompanying dependents from at least one week before your course starts and for the duration of your stay in Australia.

If you have organized OSHC, you will need to include the name of your health insurance provider, the dates your policy starts and finishes and the policy number in your application form.

If your university arranged your OSHC, you will need to include the name of your health insurance provider and the dates your policy starts and finishes. You do not need to include the policy number in your application.

Genuine Student (GS) requirement
Evidence to show that you meet the Genuine Student requirement for a student visa. This section asks you to write some short statements and upload documents demonstrating that you’re entering Australia as a student and for the main purpose of studying. You’ll be asked to comment on areas such as your current circumstances (family, education, financial, etc.), your choice of program and education provider, your choice to study in Australia, what benefit you believe your study will have for your future career plans and what ties you have to your home country. You’ll have the opportunity to upload any documents that further support your responses.

Relationship – spouse, de facto partner
Thinking of taking your spouse or partner? You’ll need evidence of your relationship with your spouse/de facto partner. This could include a certified copy of your marriage certificate, copies of bills in both your names, etc.

Employment history
Your can include your curriculum vitae or résumé showing full employment and educational history, including dates and positions held for at least the last five years.

Change of name
Only if applicable. If you’ve changed your name, certified copies of documents verifying the name change. This might include a marriage certificate or a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

Evidence of school enrollment for dependents
You’ll need evidence of enrollment of an accompanying dependent child 5 to 18 years of age at an Australian school. If any family unit members are 5 to 17 years of age (inclusive) and will live with you in Australia, you’ll need to provide documentation confirming their enrollment in an Australian school.

Welfare arrangements for younger than 18 years
If you’re younger than 18, you’ll need evidence of accommodation and welfare arrangements in Australia to make a valid application.

Parenta​l conse​nt
If you’re younger than 18, you’ll need your parents or guardians to complete a consent form.

Response times vary
Application response times can vary. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times vary due to individual circumstances including

  • whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents;
  • how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information;
  • how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided; and
  • how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements.

Health Exams

At the end of your online visa application session, you will be notified if you are required to have a health exam performed by a panel doctor. Please note not all programs require a health check.

If you are required to do a medical exam/health check, it must be done by one of the doctors in Canada who have been approved by the Australian High Commission. These doctors are referred to as “panel doctors.”

OzTREKK provides more info about arranging your health exam on the Boarding Pass so you’ll be fully prepared to arrange an appointment should you need one.

Working in Australia

Are you considering getting a part-time job while you’re studying? Of course, you’re aware that we don’t recommend depending on a part-time job to support your essential costs such as tuition, housing, utilities, food and travel. But if you’d like to work to cover extracurricular costs like shopping and travel—and you feel you can handle both working and studying—by all means, go for it.

After you have started your course of study in Australia, you can work up to 48 hours per fortnight (every 2 weeks, starting on a Monday) when your course is in session.

You may work unrestricted hours during your study breaks or more than 48 hours per fortnight if the work is part of your course (i.e., it is a registered part of your course that is mandatory).

Students completing a master’s degree by research or a doctoral degree (PhD) do not have work restrictions.

Sounds great, right? Just keep in mind that the money earned is not to be your only source of income for tuition or living expenses. Many students find it difficult to have time for a job.

Your spouse or common-law partner (dependents) have permissions to work unrestricted hours once you (the primary student visa holder) have started your course.

How to Apply Tips

  1. Passport / CoE check

    Is your passport going to expire? Be sure to get a new passport before applying for your student visa.

    Prior to applying for your student visa, please make sure that your name and date of birth on your CoE match your passport perfectly. 

    When you apply online, have your CoE, Canadian passport, and credit card handy.

  2. Gather documents

    Your passport, CoE, etc.

  3. Apply online

    – Create or log in to ImmiAccount
    – Attach documents
    – Pay the visa application charge (credit card)

    When you submit your application you must pay for you and your family members. Get more info about Australian student visas!

  4. Transaction Reference Number

    Make sure that you write down your Transaction Reference Number (TFN) at the end, and save and print copies of the forms and receipts.

12 apostles off coast of Australia