How to Apply

Interested in studying dentistry but not sure if you're eligible? Need more info about how to apply? We'll walk you through dental school entry requirements, prerequisite courses, admissions tests, and more.


We know there’s a lot of information on this page, but don’t worry—OzTREKK will be right there with you.

Here’s what you’ll find on this page:

If you have questions or concerns at any stage in the process, we are just a call or an email away!

1. Eligibility

Determining Your Eligibility

Eligibility is based on several factors and differs between undergraduate- and graduate-entry programs. To determine your eligibility,

Minimum vs Competitive Requirements

​It’s important to distinguish between minimum and competitive requirements as they can vary significantly. Minimum requirements are defined by each university and are the lowest scores (GPA, DAT) required to be eligible to apply to a program. Competitive requirements are the minimum scores that receive an offer.

Each year, OzTREKK receives thousands of applications for dentistry schools in Australia. We ensure every application we submit is not only eligible, but also considered competitive. Because of this, OzTREKK students are among the most competitive international applicants, having high offer rates.

It’s our goal to be honest and transparent about your chances of receiving an offer, because meeting the minimum requirements does not mean you’ll be a competitive applicant. Sometimes applicants decide to apply to a different program—and we can help with that, too!

Check out our helpful FAQs for more insight on eligibility!

2. Apply Online

Start Your Application

Fill out the OzTREKK application.

Don’t worry! This application only comes to us. Think of it as your starting point: It’s nothing more than you telling us which dentistry programs you’re interested in so we can ensure you don’t miss a deadline.

What to expect on the application
The basics! Your full name, address, program of interest, etc., plus your education history—so have start and graduation dates handy. If you can’t remember your exact start or grad date, estimate.

Once you’ve pressed “Submit,” we’ll contact you to outline your next steps, and will list which documents you’ll need to send to our office. Again, we aim to make sure you never miss a deadline!

If you’d like to make changes to your application or to your program selection, don’t stress. We can adjust anything as we go!

3. Submit Documents

Send Your Documents to OzTREKK

You’ve pressed “Submit” on your OzTREKK application and you’re ready for the next step: sending in your documents!

No guessing required. We’ll send you a handy checklist outlining all the required documentation for each university.

Where do I send my documents?
All application documents, aside from your official transcripts*, should be emailed to OzTREKK as PDFs:

*Transcripts in their original, sealed envelopes must be mailed to the OzTREKK office or emailed directly from your school to our office:

How do I know OzTREKK received my documents?
As soon as we receive your transcripts (whether by email or by post), and the other required documents, we will let you know—every time. Just keep an eye on your inbox!

When do I send my documents?
The earlier the better! We’ll need all documents sent to us before the application deadlines; the earlier we have them, the more guidance we can provide. You can also send them along gradually, as you get them. We’ll take care of keeping you organized.

Fast Facts

  • Even if you apply to multiple universities, you only need to send one copy of your documents.
  • All our university partners accept OzTREKK-certified transcripts. Once they have our stamp of approval (yes, a literal stamp), they’re good to go!
  • Most universities waive their application fees for OzTREKK students.
  • You will be kept up to date with your application status: outstanding documents, which applications have been submitted, upcoming deadlines, etc.

4. OzTREKK Submits Application

OzTREKK Submits Your Complete Application(s)

Once all your documents are in, OzTREKK will submit your application to the university! We’ll send you a confirmation email and provide an outcome date estimate.

Now what?
This is the waiting period. It can be stressful, but now that your application is under assessment, we will share everything you need to know in this “layover” phase! This will include

  • interview tips;
  • resources for confident decision-making if you receive an offer (or multiple offers!);
  • financing information (including contacts); and
  • community connections (OzTREKK events and more!).

Best Fit

Finding Your Best Fit

Play around with our compare programs feature to determine which program might be the best fit for you.

Remember, we’re here for you throughout the entire process, so always feel free to ask us questions. You deserve the right to feel comfortable and confident with your decision, and we’ll do whatever we can to support you.

Happy applying!


Have a look through our most frequently received FAQs regarding dentistry, including prerequisites, program titles, and much more! If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, please contact us. We’re here to help!

Can my partner or family come to Australia with me if I get an offer? 

Many Canadians wish to fulfill their career goals after getting married, having kids, or both! We’ve had plenty of students who have taken their partner and/or children with them.

If you want to take your partner or family with you, you’ll need to add them as a secondary applicant or dependents to your student visa application. Even if you don’t plan on taking them with you, we suggest you add them to your application anyway because it can be complex, expensive, and time-consuming to add them afterwards. You’ll then need to provide additional documentation to support your claims of a relationship or your children’s dependency status.

In addition to looking after the visa, you’ll also need to ensure they’re included on your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), you have appropriate accommodation, and if you’re bringing children, you’ll need to enroll them in school.

Visit our Health Insurance page for more information.

When should I apply?

We recommend you begin your OzTREKK application about a year before your program would start. Most programs in Australia start between January and March, so that means you would start your OzTREKK application between January and March the year prior.

Here’s how the typical “cycle” works if your program starts January – March:

March – May: You gather all required documents like passport photo page, transcripts, résumé, personal statement, and send them to our office. Don’t worry, we’ll tell you exactly what we need!

June – August: Interviews (if your program requires one)

September – December: Offer time! If you get an offer, we’ll walk you through the acceptance (or decline) process and give you all the help you need to get ready to go.

January – March: Time to head Down Under!

Is there a difference between the undergraduate and postgraduate dentistry options?

Australia offers professional dental programs at both the undergraduate- and graduate-entry levels. Undergraduate-entry or bachelor’s-level dental degrees like the Bachelor of Dental Science or Bachelor of Dental Surgery are open to applicants who have completed high school, as well as to those who have fully or partially completed an undergraduate degree.

Graduate-entry (master’s-level) dental degrees like the Doctor of Dental Surgery and Doctor of Dental Medicine are only open to applicants who have completed an undergraduate degree and have written the Canadian or American DAT. The only graduate-entry option OzTREKK features that doesn’t require the DAT is the University of Otago’s graduate-entry Bachelor of Dental Surgery.

Both the graduate-entry and undergraduate-entry dental programs will allow you to practice as a dentist in Canada as well in Australia. The name of the program does not necessarily affect its accreditation status. The program is not required to be a “doctor” program to be accredited as it is the content and quality of the program that determines its eligibility, not simply the name.

Can I apply if I’m only 17?

Yes, but you’ll require parental or guardian consent (signature). OzTREKK will provide the necessary documentation for this signature.

If you won’t be 18 when your program starts, you’ll be required to show that you’ll be living with an approved guardian until you turn 18. If you don’t have an approved guardian in Australia, you may need a family member to apply for a guardian visa to accompany you. This guardian visa should be obtained as part of the student visa application


Where can I see what grades have been considered competitive in the past?

Please visit our Eligibility page for past competitive scores.

If I have an educational background in dentistry, will this change my admissions requirements?

No, not necessarily. If you’ve completed university degree studies in the dentistry field (e.g., Bachelor of Dental Hygiene), the admission requirements to study dentistry at an Australian or New Zealand dental school would be the same as if you were coming from a non-dentistry related field; however, depending on the level of education, this may impact an assessment. Based on the Australian Qualifications Framework, our featured universities consider diploma/college studies as a different “level” from university studies (level 5 = college studies vs level 7 = university studies). This means you won’t be assessed in the same way as an applicant with post-secondary studies would be, and therefore, your application won’t be viewed as “competitive.” We’ve had students with very strong college scores (near perfect) not receive offers because the conversion used for college studies is not particularly favorable.

Additionally, if you were coming from a partially or fully completed Bachelor of Dental Science/Doctor of Dental Medicine elsewhere, the Australian universities may question why a student would then be seeking to enter an equivalent program in Australia.

Will taking a year off from my studies look bad on my dental school application?

No, not necessarily. We often ask for a résumé so that we can provide the university with information about that year(s) in question. For instance, did you volunteer, work, take additional studies, etc.? You won’t be penalized by taking a year off.

Should I take Grade 12 biology if I want to study dentistry?

Yes, having Grade 12 biology would give you a better foundation for Year 1 of a dental program. La Trobe University requires it as one of their prerequisite courses (with a minimum average of 70%), while The University of Queensland and The University of Western Australia highly recommend having it.

When should I start my dental school application?

We encourage all dental school applicants to begin the process by filling out the OzTREKK application in January – February. Afterward you’ve pressed “Submit,” we’ll send you an email outlining the documents required by the universities to complete your application (e.g., official transcripts, passport photo, DAT score report, etc.).

You can also start by sending us unofficial (personal) copies of your transcripts, so we can complete a pre-assessment and verify eligibility right off the bat! Beginning early sets you up for success. With OzTREKK guiding you through the process, you’ll have all your paperwork in order, and you won’t miss any deadlines!

What is a competitive GPA to get into dental school?

The competitive average for most dental school applications starts at approximately 80%, but it’s important to remember that universities use other methods of assessment including prerequisites, admissions tests, interviews, etc.

Please see OzTREKK’s Eligibility page for the most recent competitive dentistry application statistics and GPA Conversions.

How long is my DAT valid for?

Generally, DAT reports have a validity period of 2 years. For the University of Melbourne, exam results must be from within the last 4 years. Each year, the universities confirm exact validity dates, so be sure to check the program pages or chat with the Dentistry team (

Can I apply with my high school grades even if I’m in my undergrad?

If you haven’t completed your undergraduate degree, you’ll only be eligible to apply to undergraduate dental degrees. Each undergraduate program completes their assessment a bit differently. Charles Sturt only assesses completed studies and will typically revert to high school grades if a degree has not been completed. James Cook and La Trobe will complete a more holistic assessment and look at a combination of all studies, while Griffith and UQ only assess university studies if at least one full year has been completed within and according to a degree program. In each case, your high school courses will be assessed to ensure prerequisites are met, e.g., English requirements, math, science, etc.

Can I apply to graduate-entry dental degrees without finishing my fourth year of university?

You’re eligible to apply to graduate-entry dental degrees with a completed undergraduate degree, provided you have met the degree requirements at the awarding institution. This can be a 3- or 4-year degree. Sydney requires a minimum of 2 years of a degree to be completed at the awarding institution, while UWA requires a minimum of 1 year, in cases where a student commenced a degree at one university and completed it at another.

If you haven’t completed your degree, you may consider applying to an undergraduate dental degree and have your university studies and GPA assessed, along with prerequisite high school subjects.

Do dental programs have rolling admissions?

Currently, the only dentistry program that conducts rolling admissions is the Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours) program at La Trobe University. This is a new process for the 2025 intake. The remaining programs will have specific deadlines in place before an assessment is made. You’re encouraged to check the dentistry program pages for admissions details, as this can change from year to year.

What high school subjects should I have to get into dental school?

To get into an undergraduate-entry dental program, typically the 5 – 6 best courses are assessed for the GPA along with prerequisites at Year 12 (varies by province). The exception will be La Trobe University, which will assess the weighted average mark (WAM) from Grade 12 along with prerequisites that also must meet a minimum grade.

To meet prerequisite requirements for all programs, students need to complete Grade 12 English, biology, chemistry, and math B (usually covering any of calculus, statistics, algebra, trigonometry, vectors, geometry)

If you’re not sure about your prerequisites, please reach out to!

Do things like clubs and extracurriculars increase chances of acceptance?

The most consideration will be placed on academics such as GPA, prerequisites, and any applicable admissions tests. There may be cases where accomplishments and experiences outside the academic sphere may be mentioned, for example in a personal statement, supplemental form, reference letters in the case of James Cook, or interviews should a student be invited. However, we are not privy to the weight that may be given to these supplementary documents.

Do I have to write an essay to get into dental school?

For the undergraduate programs, James Cook requires a supplemental form as part of its admissions requirements. It has approximately 4 questions to answer in short-essay format. JCU also allows up to 3 reference letters to be included in the application. Additionally, Charles Sturt and La Trobe both require a structured personal statement.

For the graduate programs, only Otago requires the completion of a personal statement as part of its admission requirements.

Do Australian dental schools consider shadowing hours?

The most consideration will be placed on academics such as GPA, prerequisites, and any applicable admissions tests. There may be cases where accomplishments and experiences outside the academic sphere may be mentioned, for example in a personal statement, supplemental form, reference letters in the case of James Cook, or interviews should a student be invited. However, we are not privy to the weight that may be given to these supplementary documents.

Can my entire application be submitted through OzTREKK?

Absolutely. We manage and submit your application(s) on your behalf and communicate any updates from the universities.

Applying to an  Australian or New Zealand university starts by filling out our OzTREKK application: You’ll tell us a bit about yourself, like your name, address, date of birth, education history, and what schools you want to apply to!

When you click “Submit,” the application with all your information only comes to us, so there’s no need to worry about making a mistake at this stage. We then create a file for you (based on your name, not a number!) and email you a list of documents required to complete your application—things like passport photo page, transcripts, résumé, personal statement—but it depends on the program, as some programs require more paperwork than others.

If you get an offer, we’ll help you with that part, too! Whether you want to accept or decline, we’ll help you figure out your next steps. If you accept your offer, we’ll even help you get ready to go. We’re here to be an advocate for you, and to walk you through the entire process from start to finish.

Should you have any questions along the way, just send us an email or book a chat. That’s why we’re here!

Are there any scholarships for international students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

Occasionally, scholarships are granted to high achievers—those with very high marks. In previous years, we have seen $5000- to $10,000-scholarships given to OzTREKK students.

Check out OzTREKK’s Financing page to learn more about scholarships and paying for your degree.