Teacher Education

Would you like to become a teacher? Most of OzTREKK's Australian universities offer teaching degrees! You can complete your studies at a variety of locations across the country, from the tropical north, to the bustling east coast, and even on the adventurous west coast.

Studying at Teachers' Colleges in Australia

Looking to complete your teacher training in a more tropical climate? Look no further—Australia has some both undergraduate and postgraduate options available!

If you’d like to become a teacher and already have a degree, you will apply for Master of Teaching programs in Australia. These program options are generally 2 years and offer the opportunity to specialize in early childhood education, primary, or secondary levels of education. These programs aim to provide you with both the critical and theoretical skills needed in the classroom, along with the necessary preparation to work in a variety of curriculums.

Here’s what you’ll find on this page:

How to Apply to Australian Teachers Colleges

The process of applying to study teacher education in Australia can feel both simple and confusing at the same time. That’s why we’re here. Our goal is to have the best prepared students ready for a first-class educational experience in Australia and New Zealand—and we take that to heart.

When you’re considering teachers’ college in Australia, you may have questions about

  • your eligibility;
  • the application;
  • how (and where) to submit your documents; and
  • what we do with your application.

We’ve got you covered. Head on over to our how to apply to teachers’ college in Australia page where you’ll find info about what to expect!

Practicing as a Teacher in Canada

Teaching is a regulated profession in Canada. Each province and territory in Canada has its own individual certification board. If you wish to teach in any one of these locations, you must apply to for certification though the specific provincial or territorial certification board. This stands for all students, whether they have completed their teacher education in Canada or abroad. Upon completion of a teacher education program, you must first need to gain teacher certification through the province or territory in which you wish to work.

If you have any specific questions about the teacher certification requirements in the province you plan to work in after completing an Australian teacher education degree, you should contact the appropriate regulatory body for more information. List of provincial teacher education regulatory bodies on the Canadian Teachers’ Federation website.

OzTREKK maintains a strong relationship with our universities, consulting them and working together with them to create teacher education programs that work for our Canadian students.

Teaching in Australia
Similar to the education system in Canada, if a university offers a teacher education program, that program must allow graduates to meet teacher certification requirements in the Australian state in which the program is offered.

Please note that just like the provincial regulatory bodies governing teacher education in Canada, not all Australian states have the same teacher certification requirements. For this reason, if you have been certified in the Australian state in which you undertook you program and you wanted to teach in another Australian state, you would be required to apply for certification again through that state’s certification board.

If you wish to stay in Australia to teach after completing your degree, you will also be required to obtain the appropriate Australian visa.

For more information about staying in Australia or coming home to Canada to teach, please visit our Practicing as a Teacher in Canada page.