|University Location||Adelaide, South Australia|
|City Population||1.4 million|
|Int'l Student Population||5,400|
|Main Campus||Bedford Park|
|Program Campus||Bedford Park|
|Program Duration||2 years|
|Estimated Annual Tuition||$43,000 AUD (2020 fees; subject to increase)|
|Next Available Intake||March 2020|
|Application Deadline||Rolling admissions*|
In the Flinders Master of Physiotherapy program, emphasis is placed on preparing you to become a contemporary health professional who can work effectively across a range of settings, and in metropolitan or rural/remote locations.
At the completion of the Flinders physiotherapy program, you will be able to
- identify and apply key theoretical and practice approaches within physiotherapy;
- integrate physiotherapy knowledge and skills to manage disorders across the lifespan in a wide variety of settings with both individuals and populations including rural and remote health;
- collaborate and communicate with clients to meet their health needs in a culturally sensitive manner;
- select physiotherapy interventions relevant to the needs of clients using reflective and evidence-based practice;
- apply physiotherapy skills in the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of clients and in health promotion and disease prevention;
- collaborate and communicate effectively with other health professions in providing high-quality health care; and
- reflect on your practice and plan your ongoing professional development as a lifelong learner.
During the Master of Physiotherapy, you will progressively study the following topics:
- interprofessional practice
- musculoskeletal practice
- cardiorespiratory practice
- neurological rehabilitation
- complex case and chronic disease
The program includes 26 weeks of clinical placement and are included in every semester to ensure competency in practice. You will be expected to undertake placements in metropolitan Adelaide and in rural or remote areas of South Australia and/or Australia. Placements are often scheduled outside of normal university teaching weeks and you will be provided with further details on commencement of your studies.
The Flinders Health2Go Clinic is a collaboration with the Master of Physiotherapy program where physio students can gain additional clinical placement hours. Staffed by final-year students and supervised by physiotherapy educators from the university, the service provides comprehensive physiotherapy assessment and management. It’s a wonderful opportunity for staff and the broader community to receive quality physiotherapy care at a low cost, while providing a valuable opportunity for students to gain clinical experience.
Completed bachelor’s degree
You must have completed an undergraduate degree from a recognized university with a minimum GPA of 5.7 out of 7.0, and have completed the following prerequisites:
- One full year, or two semesters of human physiology, including detailed exercise physiology;
- One full year, or two semesters of anatomy, including detailed musculoskeletal anatomy;
- One semester of study focused on an understanding of the human and social environment and social perspectives in health such as psychology and sociology;
- One semester of study focused on research methods; and
- One semester of study in communication. The topics must have a specific focus on aspects of communication (look for “communication” in the course description) with future clients and colleagues such as listening skills, interviewing skills, basic counselling skills, group work or teamwork. You are encouraged to submit any courses you took that had a communications component within it and we will submit them for assessment with your application.
*Applications are assessed on a rolling-admissions basis. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible.