Churchill is a friendly little university town of around 5,000 located in Victoria, Australia. Churchill is one of many charming cities in the Gippsland region and is only two hours southwest from exciting Melbourne.
If you are a fan of road trips, farmer’s markets and small towns, the Gippsland region is a place you will love to explore. Get lost among the wineries, walking trails, and lovely lakes.
- Two hours from Melbourne
- Affordable living
- University town
The Gippsland region has mild to warm summers with average maximum temperatures of about 26°C. Winters are mild near the coast with average maximum temperatures of 15°C. Further inland, it is cooler in the foothills and cold in the mountains where there are frequent frosts and even some snow!
Spring (September – November) 16°C to 22°C
Summer (December – February) 22°C to 26°C
Fall (March – May) 16°C to 24°C
Winter (June – August) 12°C to 15°C (Cooler in the mountains—some snow!)
Getting Around Churchill
Getting around Churchill and surrounding areas is easy with its handy trains and buses. In the state of Victoria, you’ll need to purchase a Myki card to use all public transit. Find out all the details you need to know on the state’s public transport website.
You may also wish to buy a bicycle since Churchill is a small town with fair weather all year round, not to mention the biking paths and trails.
What to see and do in Churchill / Gippsland?
So what do OzTREKK students say?
- Watch a footy game at the MCG.
- Check out an exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria.
- Visit the Royal Botanic Gardens.
- Visit Wilson’s Promontory and Lakes Entrance for beach fun and hiking.
- Check out Morwell National Park (close to campus) and Tarra Bulga National Park. If you’re into skiing/snowboarding, there are hills to shred within a 1- to 2-hour drive.
If you’re like us, you might enjoy those gorgeous travel blogs, interesting podcasts, and social media influencers who test things out to let you know if they’re worth the money.
Here are a few accounts to follow:
- Tour Philip Island and see some penguin pals.
- Spend your weekends having BBQs and going fishing at Lake Hyland.
- Take some time to smell the roses at Morewell Centenary Rose Garden.
- Visit Wilson’s Promontory National Park and hit up Squeaky Beach where the sand actually squeaks!
- Take the longest stroll ever along the Ninety Mile Beach.
- Capture the beauty of the Tourongo Falls.
- Hit up Mount Baw Baw for hiking or skiing (or both depending on the season)!
- Have the roadie of your lifetime on the Great Ocean Road.
- Visit exciting Melbourne.
- Learn some golden history in the historic mining towns of Gippsland.