Frankston is a waterfront suburb in Victoria, Australia and is the gateway to the Mornington Peninsula. Known for its beautiful beaches, this peninsula is also home to award-winning wineries, breathtaking trails, and natural hot springs. Frankston Beach is still one of the most frequented in Victoria, and is known as one of the cleanest in Australia. It’s also home to one of the largest exhibitions of sand sculpting!
The population is around 36,000 and is less than an hour (40 km) from the exciting city of Melbourne. Students who enjoy a peaceful study surround will enjoy living in this cozy coastal town and can save their exciting expeditions for the weekends.
Less than an hour from Melbourne
Frankston has a temperate oceanic climate, the same as the rest of Melbourne; however, the suburb is usually around 2 °C cooler than the Melbourne city centre. Frankston is one of the last areas of Melbourne to experience the cool change weather effect that occurs during summer. Similar to Melbourne weather, it can often feel like multiple seasons within the same day. Typically, the summers are hot and dry while the winters are cool and cloudy.
Spring (September – November) 10°C to 24°C
Summer (December – February) 9°C to 19°C
Fall (March – May) 10°C to 20°C
Winter (June – August) 6°C to 14°C
Getting Around Frankston
There are multiple options for transportation around the peninsula. Trains can regularly take you to and from Melbourne and there are buses that can offer the same. You will need to purchase a Myki Card which will allow you access to all public transport. You can check it out in more detail on Public Transport Victoria.
What’s it like to study at Monash’s Peninsula?
Peninsula campus is Monash University’s third largest campus. It is about 40 km south of Melbourne and has around 3500 students. With strong links to industry and the community, the Peninsula campus has developed a reputation for excellence in rehab sciences like physiotherapy and occupational therapy, nursing, education, and business.
- About Peninsula Campus
- A vibrant campus community
- What Monash has in store for the future of Peninsula
- What students have to say about studying at the Peninsula campus
- Study centre for postgraduate students
Here’s the Peninsula Campus from A to Z directory—everything you need to know!
If you’re like us, you might enjoy those gorgeous travel blogs, interesting podcasts, and social media influencers who test things out to let you know if they’re worth the money.
Here are a few people to follow:
- For the explorer @officialmorningtonpeninsula
- For the artsy-type @the_fac
- For the city-folk @visitmelbourne
- Treat yourself to the Peninsula Hot Springs
- Have a vineyard-hopping weekend (you’ll probably want to get a bicycle!)
- Be young at heart in the Enchanted Adventure Garden
- Have a wild time and a cuddle at the Moonlit Sanctuary
- Spot a whale or two at the infamous Cape Schanck Lighthouse
- Walk the Frankston Pier and have a beach day
- Grab a friend and challenge yourselves to the Two Bays Trail (26 km)
- Play golf any time of the year on this award-winning course
- Travel the Great Ocean Road on your down time
- Visit the exciting city of Melbourne (it’s only an hour away!)
- Have a weekly Wednesday walk through the Mornington Market
Ask A Question
Ask us about your program of interest, or if you have a question about our services.
CONTACT US TODAY