Within the School of Health Sciences, the Department of Optometry and Vision Sciences at the University of Melbourne educates future optometrists, performs internationally recognised vision science research, and contributes widely to the advancement of optometry as an essential health care discipline.
The Doctor of Optometry (OD) at the University of Melbourne is a master’s-level professional entry degree. The OD program is the first of its kind in the southern hemisphere, creating a new benchmark in optometric education. It is an internationally recognised qualification with full accreditation from the Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand (OCANZ).
Licensing Practicing in Canada
A Doctor of Optometry is required in order to go through the licensing process to practice in Canada. The Canadian licensing process for internationally educated graduates is managed by an organization called FORAC. See the flowchart that describes the process. Based on what we understand, the general process is as follows:
1. Credential Assessment is completed by FORAC
2. Those approved will write the Internationally Graduated Optometrist Evaluating Examination (IGOEE)
- The IGOE Exam will determine whether an applicant is able to proceed directly to the OEBC Exam & OSCE (step 4) or whether a bridging program is required first.
- You should anticipate having to take the IOBP as part of the certification process as it may be required.
3. Currently – International Optometric Bridging Program (IOBP)
- The current IOBP costs nearly $50, 998, runs one full year, and is a competitive application process (currently the program accepts 18 students).
- The IOBP is being discontinued in 2021, as the Waterloo School of Optometry and Vision Science transitions to an Advanced Standing program. For more information, please see the announcement on their website.
2021 and onward – Waterloo School of Optometry & Vision Science (WOVS) Advanced Standing Program (WOVS)
- Waterloo is currently finalizing details for the WOVS and it is uncertain whether the WOVS program will have more places available in the program and what the costs will be.