The process of applying to study in Australia can be both simple and confusing at the same time. That’s why OzTREKK is here. We are committed to supporting you on your journey to become a doctor, a marine biologist, a lawyer, and anything and everything in between.
Our goal is to have the best prepared students ready for a first-class educational experience in Australia and New Zealand—and we take that to heart.
Internally, we talk about being “Student First.” We try to always put our applicants at the centre of any decisions we make. We are on your team. While we can’t guarantee an offer, we will always be honest with you. You can ask all the questions and we’ll do our best to get you all the answers.
While there are a million asterisks (“it depends”), we created this page so you can know what lies ahead and what you can to expect.
Stages of the Application Process
On this page, you’ll find more information about each “stage” you’ll encounter if you choose to study in Australia or New Zealand:
- Inquiry Stage – Connect with OzTREKK to find a program that “fits”
- Started Stage – Starting your application and getting your documents in
- Applied Stage – OzTREKK submits your complete application(s) to the universities
- Offer Stage – What happens when you get a letter of offer
- Accepted Stage – After you accept an offer letter
- Study Stage – Advice for when you’re there
- How to apply – Details by program
Connect with us! Together, we’ll find a program that fits
Learn about the programs you’re interested in. Contact us, read the website, check out Instagram or Facebook, ask your friends. Do it all. This is a no-commitment phase so have a good “think” about whether or not this gives you some excited butterflies.
- Follow us on Instagram where you’ll see firsthand student experiences and will be able to daydream about whether Australia is a good fit for you.
- Check out our OzTREKK Ambassadors
- Explore some dreamy accounts like Australia or Ningaloo Discovery (This is a bucket list trip for OzTREKK’s Director, Jaime)
- Discover OzTREKK student stories and useful articles
- Watch an OzTREKK 101 (or participate if you want!)
Show us your cards. It’s so much easier for us to strategize with you if you share what your goals are. We can help sequence your applications to make sure that you are getting what you want.
Start Your Application
Every year tens of thousands of applications are started. Once you Start your application, it will come to our office where we will review all information and setup a file for you. You will receive a detailed list of all application requirements and we’ll get to work on preparing your application(s)!
- Start your application (this is very simple and will take 5 minutes). The earlier you start your application, the better! The further you can stay away from a deadline, the more we can ensure your best foot is put forward.
- Start having a chat with your parents. We’re still in the “no commitment” part of this experience, but you may want to drop some hints. We’re always happy to have a chat with parents.
- Participate in webinars and events. Over the course of the year, there will be many events. We recommend highlighting the ones that are relevant to you. You’ll never hear a better perspective than from a current student or from alumni!
- Order your transcripts. This is easy. Just do it. It’s fast and is so much less stressful if you do it now versus a few days before a deadline!
OzTREKK Submits Your Application(s)
Your admissions officer will give you access to helpful resources for your program(s) while you play the waiting game! This period can be nerve-wracking, but as soon as we hear anything, you’ll always be the first to know.
- It’s officially time to sort out financing. This means your parents need to be aware of what’s going on. You’ll need a loan in the event you get an offer and it’s always easier to start investigating now!
- Amp up your social media follows. Think about the cities and the universities to which you’ve applied and try to decide what gets you most excited. You may need to make a fast decision on an offer, so be prepared.
If you’ve been invited for an interview, check out these resources to make sure you’re prepared:
It’s Offer Time
First, take a minute to enjoy this. You’ve worked hard to get here, and you should feel proud. It’s a big deal.
Next, it’s time to figure out how this will work. This is your journey and you need to be comfortable with it. If you choose to continue, in this stage you’ll pay your deposit, sign some documents, and officially become a student at your university!
We’re here to help. The most important part is reading through your offer carefully. Your offer will have all the answers, including info about
- refund penalty;
- withdrawal penalty and limitations;
- tuition costs; and
- campus details.
- Follow some students who are in your program. There are many open accounts with students sharing their journeys. You can follow along. Keep the excitement high!
- Google is your new best friend! Explore the campuses, the cities, the road trip options—and start daydreaming about your bucket-list items.
- Contact your regulator to ensure you understand the requirements and process to return to Canada. Check out our Licensing page as a start.
Once your acceptance is processed (about a week or two) you will receive a Confirmation of Enrollment. This is the official security that you are “in”—you have a seat in the program. By this time you’ll be excited and nervous all at once. It’s fun, enjoy it!
- Once you accept, you’ll be invited to the OzTREKK Boarding Pass where you will find resources about transferring money, clinical requirements, booking flights, getting a student visa, accommodation, orientation, and much more!
- In some programs, we recommend students brush up on some old classes (anatomy will be your friend!) in the months leading up to the program start.
- You will join your program’s Facebook group and start connecting with other students.
You’re on your way
This is when we tend to say goodbye to our students. We are always here to support you or answer questions, but by now you’ve moved on and have found yourself Down Under in a program of your dreams!
Our students say it best
- Work hard, play hard. Take time to enjoy your surroundings: Fly to the Whitsundays, drive along the Great Ocean Road, see Uluru at sunrise. You’re there for an education and an experience. Take it all in.
- Take a break and take care of yourself. It will be an adjustment, so be kind as you transition to your new life.
And from us? Keep in touch… when you think of us, flip us an email and let us know what you’re up to. We love hearing from you guys!
Now that you’ve got a better handle on “how the whole process works,” check out more info about how to apply to your program of interest!