Studying pharmacy at the University of Newcastle
Thinking about a career in pharmacy? You’ve got lots of options! And one of them is studying pharmacy at the University of Newcastle.
Studying pharmacy at UON will teach you theoretical knowledge in biomedical, pharmacotherapeutics and pharmaceutical sciences.
he best part? The Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours) at UON is recognized internationally. Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for certification in Canada.
Former OzTREKK students who are now practicing pharmacists in Canada recommend doing the evaluating exam as soon as you graduate. Visit the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada for detailed accreditation and certification information.
University of Newcastle Bachelor of Pharmacy
As a University of Newcastle Bachelor of Pharmacy student, you will
- learn how to prepare, formulate and use medications safely and effectively to improve patient health and well-being;
- gain the comprehensive medical knowledge and exceptional communication skills required to provide trustworthy advice on the symptoms and management of common ailments and educate the community on a wide range of health and well-being matters;
- learn how to use your knowledge, experience and expertise to positively influence the management of pharmaceutical services in Australia and globally;
- develop foundational research skills and discover a range of research areas that you can choose to pursue in your pharmacy career: from investigating drug design and discovery to formulation development, pharmacy practice, personalised health care and health technologies assessment.
Areas of study include
- anatomy and physiology;
- dosage formulation;
- drug design and discovery;
- mental health first aid; and
Bachelor of Pharmacy students will also have plenty of opportunities to develop their skills through hands-on professional placements. To help you prepare for your placement, the pharmacy program builds practical skills through inter-professional simulated learning activities in their fully functioning demonstration pharmacy, hospital-based simulation wards and the Hunter New England Simulation Centre.
The clinical placement component of the pharmacy program is substantial and occurs in a range of diverse clinical contexts throughout the Hunter, Central Coast, Mid North Coast and University Department of Rural Health sites.
Program: Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)
Location: Callaghan, Newcastle, New South Wales
Duration: 4 years
Semester intake: February
Application deadline: While there is no set application deadline, applicants are strongly encouraged by to apply as early as possible.