Features of the University of Sydney Doctor of Dental Medicine
As Australia’s first dental school, the Sydney Dental School has been training dental practitioners for more than 100 years.
Sydney graduates are caring, clear thinking, clinically outstanding and research capable. They are engaged and globally aware and have the capability to become leaders in oral health, dentistry and research.
The Doctor of Dental Medicine is based on a full recognition of the greater level of academic maturity and higher level analytical, clinical and communication skills of postgraduate students. This allows for higher order learning with a greater emphasis on independent, self-directed learning. Consequently it is expected that students will achieve quantitatively and qualitatively greater clinical (i.e., patient-based) experience.
Important features of the DMD include
- focusing on the relevance of medical sciences to oral health and to dental practice;
- earlier patient-based clinical experience and increased clinical experience to be obtained in clinics in metropolitan, rural and remote areas;
- science-based prerequisite coursework;
- utilising contemporary teaching and learning methods aligned to a course at a master’s degree level, with emphasis on electronic resources and learner–centred studies to provide the foundation material/knowledge, supported by tutorials to facilitate understanding and reflection
- development of graduates who consistently display higher-order cognitive skills to synthesise, integrate and translate research and knowledge to communication and clinical skills, and practice dentistry at the highest professional and ethical level;
- a defined research component as foundation to an evidence-based approach to professional practice, clearly distinguishing the education from a skills-based approach. Furthermore, this will prepare students for higher degree research studies and possible careers in research and/or academia;
- the development of leadership skills which distinguish the Sydney Doctor of Dental Medicine graduates and their contribution to the dental profession, academia and public health services;
- exposure, either in person or through mentoring, to international oral health activities.
University of Sydney Doctor of Dental Medicine
The University of Sydney Doctor of Dental Medicine is an extremely popular program! It is recommended that candidates submit their applications as early as possible.
Program: Doctor of Dental Medicine
Location: Sydney, New South Wales
Semester intake: February
Duration: 4 years
Application deadline: TBA. For the 2017 intake, applications closed June 21, 2016.