Audiology Schools in Australia
Audiology is a growing discipline in the health sciences that deals with the study, diagnosis and rehabilitation of the auditory system of the human body. Audiology, as a clinical profession, uses applied science to develop and perform precision tests that locate the specific range and frequency of hearing loss, information necessary for implementing an effective recovery strategy. Additionally, audiology identifies and treats dysfunctions of the vestibular system, which can affect one’s balance and spatial orientation.
There are very few Canadian universities that offer a Master of Audiology, and only three audiology schools are taught solely as an English-language program. Consequently, competitive admissions arising from so few spots have made Australian Audiology Schools an attractive option for Canadian students who wish to learn the requisite clinical skills to practice audiology.
Australian Audiology Schools offering graduate-entry study in audiology design their programs to operate along two fronts. On the first, students are taught the scientific and theoretical knowledge of audiology as a branch of the health sciences; on the second front students develop the fundamental skills and techniques dedicated to the practice of audiology as a clinical profession. Australian universities are internationally recognized, and graduates of an Australian audiology program are eligible to apply for certification in Canada.
Audiologists may work as clinicians, researchers, educators, and administrators. Job duties may include the following:
- Check hearing and balance disorders using a variety of specialized equipment
- Determine the location, type and severity of the hearing or balance problem
- Develop and implement assistance or training programs, such as instruction in speech reading
- Recommend available community resources
- Teach clients how to use the appropriate listening aid
- Maintain comprehensive client records
- Consult with other health professionals
- Macquarie University Audiology School
- University of Melbourne Audiology School
- University of Queensland Audiology School