OzTREKK Guide to Bachelor Dental Degrees

Undergraduate dentistry degrees like the Bachelor of Dental Science and Bachelor of Dental Surgery don’t require the DAT as part of their admissions requirements and allow students direct entry from high school. These programs are generally five years in length.

Practicing in Canada

The National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) recognizes the reciprocal agreement between the Australian Dental Council and the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada, which allows accredited graduates of either body to practice dentistry in Australia or Canada.

For Canadian students studying in accredited Australian dental programs, this means you can return home and follow the same process as Canadian domestic graduates with licensure being granted after successfully sitting the National Dental Examination Board of Canada.

For more information, please visit our Practicing Dentistry in Canada page.

Related FAQsHave a question?

Do dental programs have rolling admissions?

James Cook University is the only undergraduate-entry dental program that has rolling admissions (first come, first served). Offers start in June and close in August at their deadline when all seats are filled.

What high school subjects should I have to get into dental school?

To get into an undergraduate-entry dental program, the 5 – 6 best courses are assessed for the GPA along with prerequisites at Year 12 (varies by province).

English is required; math and science are strongly recommended at minimum (some universities require both). Year 12 calculus, chemistry, and biology are also recommended.

If you’re not sure about your prerequisites, please reach out to [email protected]!

Do things like clubs and extracurriculars increase chances of acceptance?

Of all the dental schools we represent, only James Cook University will consider extracurriculars and clubs, which should be included on the Bachelor of Dental Surgery supplemental application.

JCU will also accept up to 3 reference letters.

Do I have to write an essay to get into dental school?

James Cook University is the only university that requires a supplemental form as part of its admissions requirements. It has approximately 5 questions to answer in short essay format. JCU also allows up to 3 reference letters to be included in the application.

Do Australian dental schools consider shadowing hours?

Only James Cook University Dental School will consider up to 3 reference letters and work/volunteer experience, which you can include in the supplemental application. The other OzTREKK-represented dental schools do not considering volunteer or work/shadowing experience.


Are there any scholarships for international students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

Occasionally, scholarships are granted to high achievers—those with very high marks. In previous years, we have seen $5000- to $10,000-scholarships given to OzTREKK students.

Check out OzTREKK’s Financing page to learn more about scholarships and paying for your degree.

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to [email protected].

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

What are the average marks for entry?

For undergraduate dental degrees, average marks for entry vary by university. The 6 best courses (Ontario) are assessed for the GPA, along with prerequisites at Grade 12 level. English is required; math and science are recommended at minimum, and some universities require both. An 85% is considered the minimum and a 90% – 97% range is considered a competitive average to receive an offer. Click on a university for uni-specific entry requirements.

Which dental school is best?

The Australian and New Zealand universities OzTREKK represent are ranked highly by higher education ranking systems. Each dental program is known by the quality of its education, its state-of-the-art facilities, and by its specialties e.g., rural and remote dentistry. Deciding which program to undertake is usually a personal choice, but chatting with OzTREKK’s dentistry admissions officer is usually the best place to start!

What’s the difference between bachelor / master / doctor in the degree title?

Bachelor dentistry degrees are considered undergraduate degrees and are open to students who have a high school diploma. Master (or doctor) dentistry degrees are considered graduate degrees; therefore, candidates must hold an undergraduate degree to qualify for entry.

While the Doctor of Dental Surgery or Doctor of Dental Medicine has “doctor” in their titles, it is considered a master’s degree. A doctorate degree is considered a research degree (PhD).

Both bachelor and master (or doctor) dentistry degrees allow the graduate to practice dentistry.