Flinders University




University Location Adelaide, South Australia
City Population 1.4 million
Student Population 26,100
Int'l Student Population 5,100
Main Campus Bedford Park
Program Campus Bedford Park, Tonsley
Program Duration 2 years
Semester Intake March & July
Application Deadline No set deadline*

Studying STEM at Flinders University

Flinders University is a smaller school with a student population of 26,000. Flinders offers students the chance to truly immerse themselves in their learning. As a Flinders student, you’ll have access to

  • work-integrated learning
  • careers and employability service
  • mentoring

Through the College of Science and Engineering, access to Tonsley campus’ hub of innovation will see you pursuing your degree alongside businesses and organizations such as SAGE Automation, Tesla, and Technical and Further Education (TAFE).

Flinders’ STEM degrees can be tailored to suit your needs and career aspirations. Discover the breadth of what science has to offer or narrow your interests from a wide variety of specializations and explore what you’re passionate about in depth. Courses also include work integrated learning experiences and industry placements to ensure you are job ready.

On this page you’ll find a list of available study areas for international students. Because we can’t list all available programs, we have chosen one or two a few popular programs for Canadians. If what you’re looking for isn’t shown, please reach out to postgrad@oztrekk.com.

STEM Study Areas

With a degree in science or engineering, you can pursue a future tackling the biggest challenges of the twenty-first century: fighting global warming, curing diseases and viruses, discovering green resources and energies, and uncovering the mysteries of space.

Industry-based learning – Choose from a wide range of flexible degrees with specializations and majors that are industry linked and provide practical experience that equips you for your career through lab work, field trips and camps.

Diverse research expertise – Flinders research expertise includes chemistry, biotechnology, groundwater hydrology, forensic and environmental science, nanotechnology, animal behaviour, and the invention of medical devices and technologies.

World-class facilities – Study at Tonsley, Flinders’ world-class $120m teaching and research facility. It’s their hub of innovation and entrepreneurship and features state-of-the-art equipment, laboratories and study spaces.

Engineering and Design
Through close collaboration with industry professionals and access to state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities you will be given specialist knowledge and the hands-on skills needed to succeed in a growing engineering workforce.

Study areas include computer and network systems, design and technology innovation, biomedical, civil, electrical and electronic, environmental, maritime, mechanical, robotics, and software.

Master of Engineering (Civil)
Duration: 2 years
Campus: Tonsley
Intakes: March & July

The Master of Engineering (Civil) is designed to increase your level of knowledge and understanding in many different areas of civil engineering. It will prepare you for a career in planning, design and maintenance of infrastructure such as the built environment, water resources, mining and transport. The course includes a work experience component where you will get hands-on industry experience in civil engineering practice. The research project topics also enable you to develop research skills by developing solutions to large and complex problems.


Computing and Mathematical Sciences
There is something for every interest in this diverse program study area. Whether you are looking for a career in business, commerce, defense, medical research, or the environment an information technology degree will give you what you need to make an impact on a global scale.

Study areas include artificial intelligence, computer science, data science, digital health systems, digital media, game development, information technology, network and cybersecurity, and mathematics.

Master of Geospatial Information Systems
Duration: 2 years
Campus: Bedford Park
Intakes: March & July

This program provides a theoretical and practical framework for graduates from a range of backgrounds, as well as those from the public sector and non-government organizations wishing to extend their choice of career path by acquiring knowledge and skills in the capture, analysis, and communication of spatially referenced information. You will develop and implement GIS skills and knowledge applicable to a range of areas, such as environmental management, urban and regional planning, human geography and environmental health, land-use dynamics, natural resources management, ecosystem services, biological sciences, and archaeology.


Natural, Physical, and Molecular Sciences
Discover how past human interactions have changed our environments as you are taught to address current and future problems that are facing the planet. A multi-disciplinary approach will give invaluable information on how the environment is affected by the global political and developmental landscape while allowing you to tailor your degree to suit your interests and needs.

Study areas include animal biology, aquatic biology, biochemistry and molecular biology, biodiversity and conservation, biotechnology, chemistry, ecology and evolutionary biology, environmental geology, forensic science, geographical information systems, marine biology, ocean and climate sciences, paleontology, and physics.

Master of Science (Aquaculture)
Duration: 2 years
Campus: Bedford Park
Intakes: March & July

The program provides you with an understanding of global aquaculture through a combination of theoretical coursework and technical practicals and will develop independent thinking and problem-solving skills within aquaculture. Topics cover areas such as aquaculture systems, aquaculture technology, water quality, product quality, plant diversity, algal diversity, and economics for business. You will have the opportunity to undertake work placements and practicals in laboratories, aquaria and tanks, and meet with aquaculture professionals. An extended practical experience through industrial work placement will prepare you for future professional roles in aquaculture.

Connect with Us

If you’re interested in applying to a graduate STEM program at Flinders University, please reach out to the OzTREKK admissions officer listed below. Together, we’ll find a program that fits!

Admission Timeline

*While there is no set application deadline, you are encouraged to submit your application a minimum of 6 months prior to the program start date.


Here are some of the most frequently asked STEM questions we receive. Of course, if you don’t see your question listed here, please feel free to email us!

Can I apply if I’m only 17?

Yes, but you’ll require parental or guardian consent (signature). OzTREKK will provide the necessary documentation for this signature.

If you won’t be 18 when your program starts, you’ll be required to show that you’ll be living with an approved guardian until you turn 18. If you don’t have an approved guardian in Australia, you may need a family member to apply for a guardian visa to accompany you. This guardian visa should be obtained as part of the student visa application


Can my entire application be submitted through OzTREKK?

Absolutely. We will manage and submit your application(s) on your behalf and communicate any updates from the universities. We’re here to be an advocate for you, and to walk you through the entire process from start to finish.

OzTREKK will keep you on track with application deadlines, interview dates, and any applicable events. We’ll supply you with a step-by-step list of what you’ll need to submit, and when.

Should you have any questions along the way, just send us an email or book a chat! That’s why we’re here!

Are there any scholarships for international students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

Occasionally, scholarships are granted to high achievers—those with very high marks. In previous years, we have seen $5000- to $10,000-scholarships given to OzTREKK students.

Check out OzTREKK’s Financing page to learn more about scholarships and paying for your degree.

What does “rolling admissions” mean?

Rolling admissions means the university assesses applications as they are received, or on a “first come, first served” basis. As soon as they’ve met the quota and the program is filled, they close the applications. So, for a program that has rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better!

How does OzTREKK know if my application will be competitive?

The majority of Canadians applying to full-degree programs in Australia (i.e., not study abroad courses, which usually only last a semester or two) apply through OzTREKK. They’re studying medicine, dentistry, law, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc.

Since they’re using OzTREKK’s services, this gives us a good idea of the starting point of a competitive application each year, allowing our admissions officers to help you determine which universities/programs are most likely to present you with a letter of offer!

You can get started on determining your chances by reviewing the admissions requirements on each program page. Then, visit our GPA Conversions and Eligibility pages for details and suggestions to help you get into the program of your dreams. Of course, OzTREKK is always here to help if you have questions.

What is a 5.0 GPA in Australia?

Unlike in Canada, GPAs in Australia are simple. They are standardized, so they mean the same thing to everyone.

In Australia, a 5.0 / 7.0 would roughly translate to a 2.7 / 4.0 or approximately 70% – 72%, but keep in mind all universities assess slightly differently.

Learn more on our GPA Conversions page where we list the most common Canadian GPA scales to their corresponding Australian GPA grade.

Which prerequisites do I need?

Prerequisite courses vary by university and by program. We’ve listed university- and program-specific requirements on each program’s page under “Admissions Requirements.”

Can I do my courses online?

Some programs may offer online delivery, although it is important to note that international students in an online program are not eligible for an Australian student visa. If you choose to study online, you will have to study this program from your home country.

Can I transfer credits from my Canadian university?

Typically, international universities do not allow an automatic transfer of studies; however, you can apply for credit based on your previous studies, and if the university determines your previous courses are equivalent to those in their program, they will offer you credit for those subjects.

To apply for credit, you will need to provide a list of subjects from your undergraduate degree that you feel are relevant to this program or which might overlap with program content. You will then need to collect the detailed course outlines for each of these subjects, and we can submit these to the Australian university with your application.

What does an “Honours” program mean?

Honours studies in Australia differ from Honours studies at Canadian universities. In Australia, an Honours degree is typically awarded after an additional year of research has been completed following the standard 3-year undergraduate degree program. In Canada, an Honours degree is usually awarded after four years of undergraduate study and may or may not include an undergraduate thesis, depending on the school and program.

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to transcripts@oztrekk.com.

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

When should I apply?

Applications typically open a year in advance of the program start date. We recommend that you begin your application in January/February and aim to have your documents in by the spring/early summer.

What if my transcripts / documents are not in English?

If your documents are not in English, you must provide full translation of each document, either prepared by your university or by a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself.

Please note OzTREKK must receive the official translation directly from the university or translator in order to certify the document. Please read How Do I Send My Transcripts for more information.