Charles Sturt University




University Location Orange, New South Wales
City Population 38,000
Student Population 42,300 (across all campuses)
Main Campus Orange
Program Campus Wagga Wagga, Albury-Wodonga, Port Macquarie
Program Duration 3 – 4 years
Trimester Intakes February, July, November
Application Deadline No set deadline*

Studying STEM at Charles Sturt University

Offering students a smaller focused classroom experience while maintaining up-to-date facilities and room to grow, Charles Sturt University is a great combination of modern innovation and focused learning.

Spread between the Faculty of Business, Justice and Behavioral Sciences and the Faculty of Science and Health, there are multiple options to pursue your STEM education at Charles Sturt. Sustainable, advanced, and expansive are just a few of the words used to describe the facilities, laboratories, and regional green space that you will have access to as a student of STEM.

  • School of Agriculture, Environmental and Veterinary Sciences
  • School of Computing, Mathematics and Engineering

Learning in a real workplace is an integral part of courses at Charles Sturt University. These placements allow students to undertake authentic and engaging learning experiences across a broad range of settings.

On this page you’ll find a list of available study areas for international students. Because we can’t list all available programs, we have chosen a few popular programs for Canadians. If what you’re looking for isn’t shown, please reach out to [email protected].

STEM Study Areas

School of Agriculture, Environmental and Veterinary Sciences
Explore diversity in the natural and physical sciences with a degree in the School of Agriculture, Environmental and Veterinary Sciences. With a multidisciplinary approach to each program, you are given foundational knowledge as well as the option to focus your learning through a specialized major or degree.

Tailor your studies to suit your needs and engage in a program that will give you not only a wealth of knowledge but also the opportunity to step into any number of careers across a wide range of disciplines and industry sectors.

Study areas include agricultural science, animal science, astronomy, biology, chemistry, ecology, environmental science and sustainable development, geospatial science, horticulture, mathematics, outdoor recreation and ecotourism, physics, plant taxonomy, spatial science, wildlife and conservation, and wine science.


Bachelor of Agricultural Science
Duration: 4 years
Campus: Wagga Wagga
Intakes: February & July

This undergraduate agriculture degree focuses on Australian and global production issues facing farmers, agribusiness, and the environment. In this degree, you’ll also study contemporary, relevant subjects and gain real-world industry experience through the university’s Agricultural Industry Internship program.

Located in the heart of Australia’s major agricultural region, Charles Sturt University farms feature horticulture, livestock and cropping enterprises managed to Industries’ best practice. You’ll have access to extensive facilities, including the most sophisticated underground root growth laboratory in the southern hemisphere. We also offer five state-of-the-art laboratories and modern glasshouse facilities, working models of a range of irrigation systems, and an on-campus 1,600-hectare university farm.


Bachelor of Animal Science
Duration: 4 years
Campus: Wagga Wagga
Intake: February

Develop knowledge and skills in animal production, management, and welfare across a range of domestic and wildlife animal species with the Bachelor of Animal Science from Charles Sturt University. You’ll receive comprehensive training and practical experience to prepare you for a career working with animals or in animal-related industries.

This animal science degree could take you anywhere in Australia or the world—from animal production enterprises and ancillary industries, to education or advisory roles, working in research laboratories and in the field, or in management and conservation in a wide range of habitats, enterprises, and organizations (e.g., zoos) across the globe.


Bachelor of Environmental Science and Management (with Specializations)
Duration: 3 years
Campus: Albury-Wodonga, Port Macquarie
Intakes: February, July, November
Specializations: Applied Earth Science; Aquatic Ecosystems; Climate and Sustainability; Ecology and Conservation; or Parks, Recreation and Heritage.

Gain the skills to tackle many environmental issues, including land degradation, loss of biodiversity, climate change and water management. This environmental sciences course is closely aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which is a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet. You’ll investigate key elements of the SDGs—such as clean water, sustainable cities, climate action, life below water and life on land—and, crucially, how environmental, social, and economic factors intersect in the drive for a sustainable future.

Connect with Us

If you’re interested in applying to an undergraduate STEM program at Charles Sturt University, please reach out to the OzTREKK admissions officer listed below. Together, we’ll find a program that fits!

Admission Timeline

*While there is no set application deadline, you are encouraged to submit your application a minimum of 6 months prior to the program start date.


Here are some of the most frequently asked STEM questions we receive. Of course, if you don’t see your question listed here, please feel free to email us!

Are there any scholarships for international students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

Occasionally, scholarships are granted to high achievers—those with very high marks. In previous years, we have seen $5000- to $10,000-scholarships given to OzTREKK students.

Check out OzTREKK’s Financing page to learn more about scholarships and paying for your degree.

What does “rolling admissions” mean?

Rolling admissions means the university assesses applications as they are received, or on a “first come, first served” basis. As soon as they’ve met the quota and the program is filled, they close the applications. So, for a program that has rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better!

How does OzTREKK know if my application will be competitive?

The majority of Canadians applying to full-degree programs in Australia (i.e., not study abroad courses, which usually only last a semester or two) apply through OzTREKK. They’re studying medicine, dentistry, law, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc.

Since they’re using OzTREKK’s services, this gives us a good idea of the starting point of a competitive application each year, allowing our admissions officers to help you determine which universities/programs are most likely to present you with a letter of offer!

You can get started on determining your chances by reviewing the admissions requirements on each program page. Then, visit our GPA Conversions and Eligibility pages for details and suggestions to help you get into the program of your dreams. Of course, OzTREKK is always here to help if you have questions.

What is a 5.0 GPA in Australia?

Unlike in Canada, GPAs in Australia are simple. They are standardized, so they mean the same thing to everyone.

In Australia, a 5.0 / 7.0 would roughly translate to a 2.7 / 4.0 or approximately 70% – 72%, but keep in mind all universities assess slightly differently.

Learn more on our GPA Conversions page where we list the most common Canadian GPA scales to their corresponding Australian GPA grade.

Which prerequisites do I need?

Prerequisite courses vary by university and by program. We’ve listed university- and program-specific requirements on each program’s page under “Admissions Requirements.”

Can I do my courses online?

Some programs may offer online delivery, although it is important to note that international students in an online program are not eligible for an Australian student visa. If you choose to study online, you will have to study this program from your home country.

Can I transfer credits from my Canadian university?

Typically, international universities do not allow an automatic transfer of studies; however, you can apply for credit based on your previous studies, and if the university determines your previous courses are equivalent to those in their program, they will offer you credit for those subjects.

To apply for credit, you will need to provide a list of subjects from your undergraduate degree that you feel are relevant to this program or which might overlap with program content. You will then need to collect the detailed course outlines for each of these subjects, and we can submit these to the Australian university with your application.

What does an “Honours” program mean?

Honours studies in Australia differ from Honours studies at Canadian universities. In Australia, an Honours degree is typically awarded after an additional year of research has been completed following the standard 3-year undergraduate degree program. In Canada, an Honours degree is usually awarded after four years of undergraduate study and may or may not include an undergraduate thesis, depending on the school and program.

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to [email protected].

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

When should I apply?

Applications typically open a year in advance of the program start date. We recommend that you begin your application in January/February and aim to have your documents in by the spring/early summer.

What if my transcripts / documents are not in English?

If your documents are not in English, you must provide full translation of each document, either prepared by your university or by a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself.

Please note OzTREKK must receive the official translation directly from the university or translator in order to certify the document. Please read How Do I Send My Transcripts for more information.