|University Location||Sydney, New South Wales|
|City Population||6 million|
|Int'l Student Population||10,600|
|Main Campus||Camperdown / Darlington|
|Program Campus||Camperdown / Darlington|
|Program Duration||2 years|
|Estimated Annual Tuition||$63,500 AUD (2024 fees; subject to increase)|
|Next Available Intake||2025|
|Application Deadline||October 30 each year*|
The University of Sydney Master of Speech Language Pathology (MSLP) program prepares you for professional practice as a speech pathologist, developing the skills needed to assess and treat people of all ages, backgrounds and cultures, and to change lives by making it easier for people to communicate.
Speech pathology at Sydney has a long and proud history of producing high-quality graduates who go on to be expert clinicians, leaders of the profession and international researchers in communication sciences and disorders. Sydney University’s speech path discipline is the largest speech pathology department in the Australian state of New South Wales and one of the largest in Australia.
- You’ll learn in the new state-of-the-art Susan Wakil Health Building, with access to brand-new clinical simulation teaching spaces, research facilities, a multi-service clinic, and a brand new library.
- You’ll gain real-world, hands-on training through clinical placements within Sydney’s extensive network of clinical partners.
- You’ll learn from highly respected practitioners, clinicians and researchers, who are at the forefront advancing health sciences.
- With a multidisciplinary focus, Sydney prepares graduates with generalist and specialist healthcare knowledge and skills.
The Master of Speech Language Pathology at the University of Sydney aims to
- enable you to learn in a way that resembles the clinical practice of speech pathology; and
- help you acquire the skills necessary to qualify and practice as speech pathologists through case-based learning and clinical placements.
The curriculum is designed around the competency requirements for speech pathology professional practice. It is structured around four academic blocks and four clinical blocks. The clinical blocks begin in Year 1, Semester 1, and may occur outside the normal semester. Placements are held in both metropolitan and rural settings.
This mandatory work component must be completed as part of the award requirements for the course:
- 32.4 hours per week over 23 weeks
- Approximately 744 total hours
Completed bachelor’s degree
You must have a completed undergraduate degree from a recognized university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.3/4.0 (approximately 68% +) and provide evidence that you have extensive pre-existing knowledge in the following areas:
Your grades assessed for admission are based on your highest-ranked university degree.
Knowledge Requirements for Sydney’s MSLP Program
When you commence your studies in the Master of Speech Language Pathology, it will be assumed that you have reached a certain level of knowledge or skills in four areas of assumed knowledge. All offer holders will be given access to online modules that cover the assumed knowledge requirements listed above. The modules are offered from November to February. Please contact OzTREKK for more information.
*While the application deadline is generally the end of October, offers are made throughout the year based on academic merit and subject to availability in the program. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible as this program can fill quickly.
This program filled August 8, 2023. For information about the 2025 intake and to apply, please contact OzTREKK.