Master of Global Public Health opens doors for medical doctors
While doctors and nurses are primarily focused on treating individuals after they become ill, they can also specialize in public health to help them identify the health problems and needs of a community.
“Being a medical doctor, I have a diverse experience of clinical practice and public health practice. I initially started working as a medical doctor with International Medical Corps (IMC) an INGO providing healthcare services to internally displaced people in Pakistan. With more experience I was promoted to various positions including team leader, project manager, and medical coordinator. In 2014, I joined the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) as assistant public health officer to oversee the implementation of a healthcare service delivery program in 43 Afghan refugee villages across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Pakistan.
“In order to further excel in my career, I started a Master of Global Public Health program at Griffith University. I selected this program because I wanted to gain the contemporary skills and knowledge needed to address modern-day public health issues.
Public health addresses health issues and well-being at community, national, and global levels by not only focusing on the health sector, but also addressing issues of related sectors that may impact the overall health of the population.
“My study experience at Griffith University was diverse as apart from routine assignments we were engaged in practical activities like group work assignments and public health promotion projects with the lecturers/conveners providing support at every step. Especially, the public health practice project provided me an excellent opportunity to carry out research work more independently with my peers along with academic guidance. Our research topic, “Analysis of crisis communication by the prime minister of Australia during the COVID-19 pandemic” was completed successfully and is currently under review in a reputable peer-reviewed journal.
“Successful completion of the Master of Global Public Health has diversified my career choices. It opened opportunities in a wide range of areas including epidemiology, research, infectious disease control, project management, disaster risk reduction, monitoring and evaluation, non-communicable disease control programs planning and management, etc.”
Master of Public Health graduates are often employed within the government’s public health system, but may also find success in the non-government sector. Like many other health professions, the exact position in which a public health practitioner finds employment is dependent on the skills and experience acquired prior to the degree, the area of specialized focus of the program, and the needs of the employing organization.
- Chief medical officers (oversee programs and staff within health care institutions);
- Clinical infectious disease specialist (work with patients with infectious diseases to stop the disease from spreading and identifying the source);
- Childbirth health educator (work with expectant mothers to determine their best birthing options);
- Chronic disease management coordinator (work with health care teams to look after those with chronic illness);
- Biosecurity specialist (protect the general public from potential biological attacks and dangers);
- Communicable disease analyst (educate and advice others on how diseases and illnesses spread);
- Disaster preparedness coordinator (coordinate and develop disaster plans and emergency responses);
- food service sanitarian (perform inspections on the food services industry and ensure that facilities meet public health standards;
- Health administrator (handle the administration of health services in a community); and
- Health educator (provide education to communities on their health and coordinate projects on improving public health).
Practicing in Canada
After you’ve graduated from an Australian university with a degree in public health, you won’t need to register with an accrediting body in Canada or complete any further schooling in order to have your credentials recognized.
Griffith Master of Global Public Health
The program focuses on the socio-ecological model of public health that emphasizes and analyzes the important interactions between the social, biological, economic and environmental determinants of health. They enable you to apply this analytical skill set to plan, implement and evaluate population based interventions that protect and promote health.
Program: Master of Global Public Health
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland
Intakes: February, July, October
Duration: 2 years
Application Deadline: While there is no set application deadline, you are encouraged to apply at least three months prior to the program start date.