OzTREKK Ambassadors: Tour JCU’s Cairns Campus with Chrysten
Australia may seem like it’s a world away right now, so we thought we’d bring JCU to you! Join OzTREKK Ambassador, Chyrsten, for a highlight tour of JCU’s Cairns’ Campus. Located just outside of Cairn’s city centre, the campus is surrounded on three sides by rainforest-covered mountains and close to northern beaches in the suburb of Smithfield.
Although JCU’s main campus is in nearby Townsville, if you’re considering studying dentistry at JCU, Cairns will be the spot you call “home”! It features an 80-seat dental simulation laboratory, prosthodontics and science laboratories, student home-group rooms, and a dental clinic that allows students to practice their skills while providing dental treatment to the public.
Also on Cairns’ Campus are
- the Cairn’s Institute;
- the Chancellery Building, that houses the JCU Student Centre, the International Student Support, and general administration;
- the Health and Sciences Building;
- research facilities for the Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine (AITHM), the Queensland Tropical Health Alliance (QTHA), and the Mosquito-Borne Diseases Group;
- a comprehensive library with studying spaces and tutoring services;
- and learning facilities for nursing and teaching programs.
Not to be missed are also some fun features like Atika Creek, the Bike Workshop, exercise facilities like the student gym and Rugby Oval!
About the JCU Dentistry Program
The JCU Dentistry program is a five-year undergraduate degree that provides students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes they need to become competent practitioners of dentistry. It is a broad-based program which includes all aspects of dental practice but also has a special focus on issues of special concern to the northern Australian region, particularly those relating to tropical, rural and Indigenous practice.
Program: Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
Location: Cairns, Queensland
Next available intake: February 2021
Duration: 5 years
Application deadline: August 28, 2020. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible.