OzTREKK Guide to Bachelor Physiotherapy Programs

Australia is world-renowned for its leading-edge physiotherapy research and practice. At Australian universities, physiotherapy is a strong academic and clinical discipline, and Australian research in physiotherapy drives teaching and learning. This provides Australia’s physiotherapy students with opportunities to be educated in contemporary, evidence-based clinical practice.

Practicing in Canada

In order to practice physiotherapy in Canada, graduates of an Australian physiotherapy program must register with the provincial physiotherapy regulatory body. The Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR) recognizes degrees from Australian universities, as long as they meet the requirements including completion of a minimum number of clinical hours.

For more information, please visit our practicing as a physiotherapist page.

Related FAQsHave a question?

When should I apply?

We recommend you begin your OzTREKK application about a year before your program would start. Most programs in Australia start between January and March, so that means you would start your OzTREKK application between January and March the year prior.

Here’s how the typical “cycle” works if your program starts January – March:

March – May: You gather all required documents like passport photo page, transcripts, résumé, personal statement, and send them to our office. Don’t worry, we’ll tell you exactly what we need!

June – August: Interviews (if your program requires one)

September – December: Offer time! If you get an offer, we’ll walk you through the acceptance (or decline) process and give you all the help you need to get ready to go.

January – March: Time to head Down Under!

Can I apply if I’m only 17?

Yes, but you’ll require parental or guardian consent (signature). OzTREKK will provide the necessary documentation for this signature.

If you won’t be 18 when your program starts, you’ll be required to show that you’ll be living with an approved guardian until you turn 18. If you don’t have an approved guardian in Australia, you may need a family member to apply for a guardian visa to accompany you. This guardian visa should be obtained as part of the student visa application


Are there any scholarships for international students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

Occasionally, scholarships are granted to high achievers—those with very high marks. In previous years, we have seen $5000- to $10,000-scholarships given to OzTREKK students.

Check out OzTREKK’s Financing page to learn more about scholarships and paying for your degree.

What does “rolling admissions” mean?

Rolling admissions means the university assesses applications as they are received, or on a “first come, first served” basis. As soon as they’ve met the quota and the program is filled, they close the applications. So, for a program that has rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better!

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

How do I know if I have enough qualified physio clinical hours?

To begin the process of certification, the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR) requires that the applicant show evidence of having completed 1,025 hours of supervised clinical education with at least 100 of these hours in musculoskeletal, 100 in neurological, and 40 in cardiorespiratory conditions.

As long as you graduate from one of the Australian university programs that OzTREKK features, it is expected that you will fulfill your 1025 clinical hours as they are worked into the program; however, we still encourage all students to keep track of their hours because it is ultimately your responsibility to record and report.

A good start would be to speak with your faculty advisor to inquire about clinical hours; they will have resources to help you. For more information, please visit our Practicing physiotherapy in Canada page.

How long does it typically take after graduation to start practicing physiotherapy?

The process can take up to two years as the timing of the exams can make the process very protracted; however, you are permitted to work under supervision between the written and clinical portions of the PCE exam. Get more information about the process on our Practicing physiotherapy in Canada page.

What if my transcripts / documents are not in English?

If your documents are not in English, you must provide full translation of each document, either prepared by your university or by a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself.

Please note OzTREKK must receive the official translation directly from the university or translator in order to certify the document. Please read How Do I Send My Transcripts for more information.

Can I work as a physiotherapist when I return to Canada?

You are encouraged to contact the regulators directly so you’re 100% clear on the accreditation process. You can contact the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR) or your provincial authority with any detailed accreditation questions.

All the physiotherapy programs OzTREKK features are accredited in Australia, so you could practice immediately in Australia, or return to Canada as many students do. The process to stay in Australia is very simple.

To practice as a PT Canada, you must first complete a course called “The Context of Physiotherapy in Canada,” offered at several universities in Canada, including the University of Toronto, which has an online course that you can complete before leaving Australia.

Once you complete the course, your next step is to apply to the Alliance (CAPR)  to have them assess your qualifications based on two criteria: education (degree at an accredited university) and supervised clinical hours (minimum of 1,025). There are five criteria, but the other ones are less complex: identification, English language, and your understanding of the practice in Canada (the course mentioned).

After Alliance successfully assesses your credentials, you would need to complete the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) like any other physiotherapy graduate in Canada prior to provincial registration.

Learn more about the process on our Practicing physiotherapy in Canada page.

What is considered a competitive GPA for physio programs?

For graduate-entry physio programs (master or doctor), anything above a 3.1/4.0 cGPA is considered competitive for most of our physiotherapy programs. If you have a cGPA lower than 2.7/4.0, we would not recommend applying.

For undergraduate-entry physio programs, eligible candidates have a high school diploma with an overall average of approximately 85% – 95%, with studies in math, science, and English. Varies by university. Keep in mind, entry is competitive and meeting minimum GPA requirements does not guarantee entry. Candidates with more than 1 year of full-time university degree studies will be assessed based on their university cGPA.