Every year, we help hundreds of Canadian students choose the right Australian medical school program. Because we understand their admissions requirements and application procedures, we can guide you through the differences between undergraduate streams and graduate streams and outline what you need to know about practicing medicine following graduation.

Practicing in Canada

Graduate qualifications in law from Australian universities are recognized internationally. Canadian students who wish to practice as lawyers upon their return to Canada are required to apply to the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) for assessment as the first step in the accreditation process.

Learn more about the process of becoming a lawyer in Canada.

Related FAQsHave a question?

What does “rolling admissions” mean?

Rolling admissions means the university assesses applications as they are received, or on a “first come, first served” basis. As soon as they’ve met the quota and the program is filled, they close the applications. So, for a program that has rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better!

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

What are the average marks for entry?

Varies by university and program chosen. Most eligible candidates have a high school diploma with an overall average of approximately 65% – 75%.

Can I stay in Australia to practice?

While graduates are eligible to continue the steps to practice in Australia, it is imperative to understand the visa process that is associated with continuing to live and work in Australia. Find out more about staying in Australia to practice law.

What if my transcripts / documents are not in English?

If your documents are not in English, you must provide full translation of each document, either prepared by your university or by a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself.

Please note OzTREKK must receive the official translation directly from the university or translator in order to certify the document.

Are there any scholarships available to law students?

Scholarship options in Australia are usually limited for international students as they tend to be reserved for those undertaking postgraduate research degrees; however, we can advise you where to look for scholarships and whether specific programs have a history of offering scholarships.

In 2018, OzTREKK law students received more than AUD $80,000 in scholarships!

Is the LSAT required for Australian university law programs?

Of the OzTREKK-represented law degrees, only Monash University Law School will accept the LSAT, but it is not required. Depending on your GPA, submitting a strong LSAT can make your application more competitive.

Undergraduate Bachelor of Laws programs do not require the LSAT.

How will the law schools calculate my average? From my last two years, or from all years?

All OzTREKK-represented law programs will base your law application academic assessment on your cumulative average.

If you’re considering undergraduate-entry law degrees straight from high school, they will consider your top 5 – 6 courses from your Grade 12 results, depending on your province.

Check university-specific law program pages for details.

Will my Australian law degree be recognized in Canada?

Graduate qualifications in law from Australian universities are recognized internationally. The basic process when returning to Canada and meeting the requirements to practice as a lawyer is as follows:

  • NCA – Assessment and challenge examinations
  • Articling (or a Law Practice Program – LPP)
  • Barrister & Solicitor Exams
  • Being “called to the Bar”

When you return to Canada after completing an international Law degree, including a degree from an Australian law school, you will first apply to have your credentials assessed by the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA). All applications are assessed by the NCA on a case-by-case basis, because everyone’s application is usually unique based on their own personal experiences and academic history.

NCA assessments focus on the core common law subjects in which you will demonstrate competence, including five Canadian subjects which are mandatory for all applicants. Most Australian law school graduates who apply through the NCA would be asked to complete challenge exams in the following five areas:

1. Canadian Administrative Law
2. Canadian Constitutional Law
3. Canadian Criminal Law
4. Foundations of Canadian Law
5. Canadian Professional Responsibility

Once you have successfully completed the assigned requirements, the NCA will issue a Certificate of Qualification. That certificate is required to apply to a Canadian law society in a common law jurisdiction. Be sure to visit the Federation of Law Societies of Canada website for accreditation and certification information, and contact us if you have any questions.

For further details on the steps required, please visit our Practicing law in Canada page.

When can I start my law studies in Australia?

Australian law programs commence in the first semester of each year, which is in late February/early March. Many of our law programs also have mid-year (June/July) and third-trimester  intakes (August/September).

Learn more about your law degree options.