OzTREKK Funny Friday
The Mathematician’s Dictionary
Clearly: I don’t want to write down all the “in between” steps.
Trivial: If I have to show you how to do this, you’re in the wrong class.
It can easily be shown: No more than four hours are needed to prove it.
Check for yourself: This is the boring part of the proof, so you can do it on your own time.
Hint: The hardest of several possible ways to do a proof.
Brute force: Four special cases, three counting arguments and two long inductions.
Elegant proof: Requires no previous knowledge of the subject matter and is fewer than ten lines long.
Similarly: At least one line of the proof of this case is the same as before.
Two-line proof: I’ll leave out everything but the conclusion, you can’t question ’em if you can’t see ’em.
Briefly: I’m running out of time, so I’ll just write and talk faster.
Proceed formally: Manipulate symbols by the rules without any hint of their true meaning.
Proof omitted: Trust me. It’s true.
Australian Math Degrees
- Bond University – Master of Science (Mathematics & Statistics)
- James Cook University – Bachelor of Science (Mathematics)
- Macquarie University – Master of Science (Mathematics)
- Monash University – Master of Science (Research)
- University of Melbourne – Master of Science (Mathematics & Statistics)
- University of Newcastle – Bachelor of Mathematics
- University of Queensland – Master of Science (Mathematics)
- University of Sydney – Master of Science Research (Mathematics and Statistics)