About the University of Melbourne Master of Nursing Science
- Approaches to learning and teaching
- Research-based practice
- Clinical skill acquisition
- Contextualised, integrated health care delivery
The curriculum emphasises significant contemporary health problems identified as National Health Priority Areas: cardiovascular health, cancer control, injury prevention and control, mental health, diabetes mellitus, and asthma.
The Melbourne Nursing School takes a research-oriented approach to practice. This approach encourages systematic development of clinical skills using evidence-based learning, an understanding of the close links between theory and practice, and the ability to undertake self-directed lifelong learning.
Teaching is based on up-to-date research which allows students to apply the most relevant theory to their practice to ensure best practice and best patient outcomes. In the final semester, following theoretical and clinical preparation, students will undertake a specialist elective subject in their area of interest and a capstone practice subject to consolidate theoretical and practical knowledge.
Program: Master of Nursing Science
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Semester intake: February 2015
Duration: 2 years
Key Dates for 2015 Entry
|Application closing date for International Students
|Friday, October 31, 2014
|Monday, November 24, 2014
|Deadline for accepting offer
|Friday, December 5, 2014
|Deadline for enrolling and/or meeting offer conditions (if applicable)
|Friday, February 13, 2015
|between February 24 – 27, 2015
|Monday, March 2, 2015
Admission requirements for the Master of Nursing Science:
- a three-year bachelor degree, or equivalent, in any discipline, completed within 10 years of application. Where this degree is older than 10 years, the Selection Committee will call for curriculum vitae and consider any graduate study completed in the intervening period to determine current capacity for graduate study, or significant relevant professional experience of greater than five years full-time equivalent.
- meet the University’s English language requirements.
From all applicants, the Selection Committee will also call for
- the contact details of two professional referees; and
- a supporting statement from applicants indicating their reasons for and ability to undertake the Master of Nursing Science.
The Selection Committee may conduct interviews to elucidate any of the matters referred to above.
My bachelor degree was not related to nursing or health sciences. Can I still apply?
The Human Anatomy Preparation course introduces students to the structure and function of the human body. It provides the essential basis for understanding the cellular building blocks of the body and the relationships between scientific principles and laws. Students are introduced to cells, tissues and organs, and this program explores the structure and function of body systems. Online schedule:
- Commencing May 5, 2014 with final exam on June 20, 2014
- Commencing July 28, 2014 with final exam on September 12, 2014
- Commencing October 13, 2014 with final exam on November 28, 2014