Veterinary Medicine


Veterinary medicine is by far one of the most popular and rewarding career options for you! One of the greatest benefits of a career in veterinary medicine is the chance to promote the health and welfare of animals. Your career will be varied and interesting, and provide the opportunity for professional independence.

OzTREKK represents three Australian universities that feature professional veterinary degrees. You can become a veterinarian by completing one of the following degrees:

  • Bachelor of Veterinary Science (Honours)
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

UQ’s Bachelor of Veterinary Science (Honours) and Sydney’s Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine programs are suitable for students who wish enter into a professional veterinary program directly from high school or with some college or university studies.

Practicing in Canada

OzTREKK features Australian veterinary programs that are accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). Graduates are considered in the same category as graduates from North American veterinary schools when undertaking licensing examinations in North America and are eligible to sit the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination.

Learn more about the process of becoming a veterinarian in Canada after graduating with an Australian veterinary degree.

Related FAQsHave a question?

What does “rolling admissions” mean?

Rolling admissions means the university assesses applications as they are received, or on a “first come, first served” basis. As soon as they’ve met the quota and the program is filled, they close the applications. So, for a program that has rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the better!

What is a “school leaver”?

“School leaver” is a term used by Australians (and those in the UK) that refers to someone who has graduated high school.

Australia offers professional undergraduate programs—like medicine or veterinary science—that may require an applicant to apply straight from high school without having any post-secondary education. In their admissions requirements, you may see “open to school leavers only,” so anyone who has post-secondary studies (completed or not), aren’t eligible to apply.

If you’re not sure if you qualify for a program, reach out! Contact us at

What are official transcripts, and how do I send them?

Currently, our Australian universities require original transcripts to assess your application—certified by OzTREKK, which means we have to put our stamp on paper. Literally.

Usually, students order transcripts from their high school, college and/or university and have them mailed to our office. Alternatively, you can pick up your transcripts and mail them to OzTREKK, as long as they remain in their original, sealed envelopes.

You will need to submit final transcripts (showing your degree/diploma is completed) from every institution you have attended. We only require one copy of each transcript, even if you apply to multiple universities or programs.

OzTREKK educational services
301-1 Sherbrooke St. E.
Perth, ON K7H 1A1 CANADA

Alternatively, your high school, college and/or university can email them to

P.S. Try sending your documents via FedEx and Purolator, especially when you need your documents to arrive at our office ASAP. If you use Canada Post’s courier Xpresspost, please don’t request a signature, as this can add unexpected delays!

As soon as your transcript arrives, we’ll let you know!

What are the average marks for entry?

Most eligible candidates have a high school diploma with an overall average of approximately 85%. If applying with some university studies, an average of 70% and above is required. Keep in mind entry is competitive and meeting minimum GPA requirements does not guarantee entry.

When are the application deadlines?

Variable; however, candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible before the deadline. Most OzTREKK students begin their applications in January / February for the following February / March start date.

What if I didn’t pass the CASPer SJT?

If you failed to meet conditions due to the CASPer situational judgement test, you’ll need to re-apply for next available intake, and you’ll be required to retake the test. Your application must be submitted to UQ before you’ll be able to register for the test.

What if I lack animal-handling experience?

Some Australian veterinary programs require animal-handling experience as part of their entry requirements:

Sydney BVB/DVM
Requires 5 days of animal-handling experience, which can be part of a paid position, volunteer work, or part of a courses. On the supplementary application, you’ll need to briefly describe your experience and outline the specific tasks/experiences you gained.

Sydney DVM
Requires a minimum of 28 days of relevant work and animal-handling experience. A substantial portion of this must have been completed within 2 years prior to application. You’ll need to include supporting documents for experience, e.g., reference letters, certificates, or forms that provide evidence of the number of hours you worked or volunteered.

Consider applying to the following intake
What a difference a year can make! If you lack animal-handling experience, consider gaining some in the following areas:

  • Animal production industries such as sheep, cattle, pigs, goats, horses, and poultry
  • Veterinary clinical practice
  • Other relevant animal-industry experience including government bodies, charities, and research organizations

Some examples of what the committee might look for in an applicant include

  • breadth of experience across a variety of species, or depth of experience in a particular species;
  • research experience;
  • overall experience and length of experiences;
  • commitment and interest in the profession; and
  • rural experiences.

What extra processes would I have to undertake if I study at a vet school that is not AVMA accredited?

Graduates of vet schools that don’t have AVMA accreditation, like JCU’s, must complete an educational equivalency assessment certification program called the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) before they can sit the NAVLE.

The ECFVG has 4 steps:

1. Providing proof of graduation
2. Passing an English language assessment
3. Successfully completing the Basic and Clinical Sciences Examination (BSCE)
4. Successfully completing the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE)

What if my transcripts / documents are not in English?

If your documents are not in English, you must provide full translation of each document, either prepared by your university or by a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself.

Please note OzTREKK must receive the official translation directly from the university or translator in order to certify the document.

How will the university assess my vet application?

Undergraduate-entry Programs

Applicants will be assessed primarily on their academic achievement in their final year of high school or cumulative average in their post-secondary studies if they have a year or more of studies. Admissions for the BVSc program run on rolling admissions, which means applications are assessed in the order they are received, and applicants are assessed against the requirements and not against other applicants.

Sydney BVB/DVM
Sydney’s BVB/DVM program assesses applicants primarily on their academic achievement in their final year of high school or cumulative average in their post-secondary studies if they have a year or more of studies. The applicant’s commitment to the health and welfare of animals will also be considered in the assessment. Applications are assessed on a rolling admissions basis and applicants are assessed against the requirements and not against other applicants.

Graduate-entry Programs

Melbourne DVM
Selection into the Melbourne DVM will be primarily based on your upper-year science subjects (300- and 400-level courses), rather than cumulative GPA. Melbourne weights their science GPA 75:25 toward the 400-level subjects, meaning your 400-level courses are weighed 3 times as much as your 300 level.

Melbourne defines a science subject as a subject dealing with the scientific basis of physical or biological sciences, but not including social sciences such as sociology, human behavior, history of science, economics, philosophy (including philosophy of science), and anthropology. This list is indicative and not comprehensive.

Applicants with a 75% average and above in these courses should apply. In ranking applications, Melbourne’s Selection Committee will consider your prior academic performance and your personal statement.

Admissions for this program run on a rolling-admissions basis, which means applications are assessed in the order they are received, and applicants are assessed against the requirements and not against other applicants.

Sydney DVM
The GPA is calculated over the entire duration of the bachelor’s degree and all years of study are weighted equally. Only results from completed bachelor’s and postgraduate coursework degrees are included in the GPA calculation. Sydney does not consider the discipline of the bachelor’s degree during the ranking process.

Admissions run on a pooled-application process, where applicants are pooled and assessed against one another after the application deadline. Applicants who have achieved the minimum GPA (and other admission requirements) are then ranked on academic performance. Entry is highly competitive in this program so meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee entry. The higher your GPA, the better your chances of receiving an offer.