As a student from Canada studying at an Australian university, you will be considered an international student and therefore charged international student tuition fees.

When you request information about a specific program from OzTREKK, we will provide you with the estimated tuition fees and administrative costs for your program. Additionally, OzTREKK will provide you with information about costs associated with the student visa application, health coverage, and living in Australia.

OzTREKK students typically finance their studies using

  • professional student lines of credit;
  • Canadian student loans;
  • and personal / family savings.

#OzTREKKTip: More information about the topics covered here is available on our Boarding Pass, which is exclusive to OzTREKK students! If you have questions about how to access the OzTREKK Boarding Pass, please contact your admissions officer.

Cost of Living

Cost of Living in Australia

The average international student in Australia spends about $450 AUD per week on living expenses, but this is dependent upon where you are living. Cities like Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane are more expensive. Most OzTREKK students use a combination of personal funds, student loans, and bank loans/lines of credit to fund their Australian university studies.

Living costs for international students according to the Government of Australia:

You – AUD $21,041
Partner or spouse – AUD $7,362
Child – AUD $3,152

Cost of living calculator.

Check out the cost of living comparison tool to get a better idea.

Government Loans

Government Student Loans

Canadian students who study outside Canada are eligible for loans provided by the federal government through the Canada Student Loans Program, in addition to loans provided by their province of residence.

All of OzTREKK’s Australian universities are included on Canada’s “List of Designated Educational Institutions.” If you attend one of these universities, you are eligible for a government student loan in Canada.

In Canada, there are two main categories of government student loan programs:

1. The federal program, called the Canada Student Loans Program (CSLP); and

2. provincial and territorial programs.

To apply for a government student loan, you apply to only one place to receive your student financial assistance—the student loan program in your province of residence.

Canadian government student loans provide funding to eligible students based on demonstrated financial need. The Canada Student Loans Program provides up to $210 per week of full-time study per loan year (Aug. 1 to July 31), for students studying internationally. Additional loan money is granted by most provinces; however, the Ontario Government does not provide any province-based funding for Ontarians who wish to study internationally (students from Ontario can access only the $210/week from the Canada Student Loans Program).

Funds are disbursed through a combination of the Canada Student Loans Program and the appropriate provincial student loan program. One application will qualify you for both programs. Your application must be directed to your province of residence. The rules for what determines your province of residence vary, but normally it is defined as where you have most recently lived for at least 12 consecutive months, not including any time you spent as a full-time student at a post-secondary institution. In most cases, the  province of residence is the province one lived in before becoming a post-secondary student.

To apply for these loans, fill out an application in your home province/territory for each year that you are studying. These loan programs are intended to supplement the financial resources of students and their families. There is no guarantee that you will be granted financial assistance. The defining features of government student loans are as follows:

  • They are interest free while you are in school. Interest starts to accrue after you are finished school.
  • They do not require repayment until six months after you stop going to school.
  • They offer interest relief and/or debt reduction assistance for eligible students, depending on their situation.

#OzTREKKTip: Your government student loan money will be released after your program has commenced! Make sure you factor this into your financial planning! If you are approved for a Canada Student Loan, most provincial loan offices do not release your money until after you arrive in Australia and classes have commenced.

It is recommended that you have the Canada Student Loan funds deposited directly into your Canadian bank account, and then arrange for a wire transfer to Australia. Do not ask the provincial loan office to mail you a cheque to Australia. This cheque will be in Canadian dollars, and it will be difficult to cash it in Australia. Finally, if you opt to have the cheque mailed to you at your home address in Canada, make sure that someone can deposit it into your Canadian bank account so the funds can be accessed.

How Can OzTREKK Help?
OzTREKK can provide you with assistance and support during the loan application process. While we cannot answer any questions specific to your application status, or the amount you may receive, we are more than happy to provide advice and details about getting your loan application process started.

When you apply for your student loan, you will likely be asked to provide further information about your program. Some provincial loan programs require a program information form completed by your Australian or New Zealand university.

If you have a program information form to be completed, or need financial information about your program for your loan application, just let us know. Send the program information form to our office and we will have these completed by the correct financial aid officer at your Australian university. Once completed, we will return it to you for your records. Some provincial loan programs will allow you to upload this form in their electronic systems while others liaise directly with your Australian financial aid officer to obtain the required information.

Please look at  Canada and Provincial Student Assistance Programs for more information about how to apply.

Student Line of Credit

Canadian banks have student lines of credit for Canadians studying internationally. Most students will be required to have a co-signer, so be prepared to ask a family member to act as a guarantor.

CIBC – No caps—based on your financial situation
RBC – up to $275,000
BMO – $200,000
TD – $275,000
National Bank of Canada – $200,000


Scholarships from Australian Universities

Australian universities and the Australian Federal Government offer scholarships and bursaries to international students. The majority of these are provided to students who wish to do research in Australia at the postgraduate level (e.g., Master’s by Research, or PhD). A limited number of scholarships are available for students taking undergraduate programs or a general master’s degree.

For professional programs, such as medicine, law, physiotherapy, and teacher education, few scholarships are available to international students, chiefly because these programs are not research-oriented.

Each university has its own policy on how scholarships are awarded. OzTREKK links our students to in-depth information about applying for Australian university scholarships.

Scholarships for International Students

Finding a scholarship in Canada can feel like you are “looking for a needle in a haystack.” You must be diligent and thorough in your research. The more you explore your options and apply to as many agencies awarding scholarships, the better chance you have to access funding for your schooling.

Transferring Your Money

Throughout your studies, you are likely going to need to get money to Australia to pay your tuition fees and living expenses. In general, a wire transfer (called a telegraphic transfer in Australia) is the most effective way to do this. There are a few options of which you should be aware. Paying attention to rates can save you thousands of dollars (in some cases over ten thousand dollars) over the course of your full degree.

Cohort Go

Over the last few years, OzTREKK has been a proud supporter of Cohort Go, an Australian company specializing in international student services. The company is incredibly responsive, and our students are treated well—as they should be! Cohort Go allows students to make tuition payments in their local currency and convert their AUD tuition fees at a significantly lower foreign exchange rate while eliminating extra international money transfer fees from the equation. We have found this is the cheapest way to pay your tuition and save as much as $15,000 over the course of your studies. You just need to make a local bank transfer and Cohort Go takes care of your payment from there.

OzTREKK isn’t any getting any referral rewards, we just really think this is one of the best solutions available for our students.

Banking in Australia

Many OzTREKK students recommend you open a bank account before you leave for Australia as securing accommodation is often much easier when you have an Australian bank account!

Some Australian banks allow international students open an account online from overseas up to three months before you arrive—and many OzTREKK students recommend doing this. When you arrive in Australia, the bank will require you to show proof of identification in person at a bank branch.

  • Your letter from the bank after you’ve opened the account
  • Your passport
  • Your student ID or proof of enrollment
  • Australian cell phone number if you have one

Australia’s major national banks:

#OzTREKKTip: Find out which bank has a branch on your university campus!

OzTREKK also recommends that you have a Canadian credit card with a reasonable maximum limit to take with you to Australia. It is not the best option for exchanging money from CAD to AUD and paying for things in Australia, but it may be helpful for emergencies and when you first arrive in Australia while you are setting up an Australian bank account.